In addition to the general application requirements, applicants to the MA in Chinese must complete and/or be aware of the following:
Letters of Recommendation
The following recommenders are acceptable, listed in our order of preference:
If you are a teacher
- The principal or superintendent of your school
- Supervisors or colleagues who can speak to your TCFL experience
If you are not a teacher
- Instructors or advisors who are familiar with your academic work in TCFL and competent to evaluate it (contact must be within the past two years)
- Recent teachers in other languages or disciplines.
Please submit the name and email address of your recommenders in the online application form. They will receive an email with a link to an online form to use for their recommendation. Recommendation letters by email and mail are also welcome, sent to the address listed below.
As all MA courses are taught in Chinese, and many of the required reading materials are in English, so proficiency in both is required.
For Non-Native Speakers of English
- Minimum TOEFL IBT scores: 100 overall, 25 reading, 25 listening, 23 speaking, 27 writing
- Minimum IELTS scores: 7.5 Overall, 7.5 Listening and Reading, No Sub-score below 7.5
For Non-Native Speakers of Chinese
A recent college major in Chinese or a minimum ACTFL OPI score of Advanced Low is required. Applicants may either submit an official OPI score from ACTFL or take our on-line computer adaptive test, as well as a follow-up speaking test with a Chinese faculty member designated by our director.
Please submit your language proficiency scores and/or documentation by email or mail to the address below.
Please submit a one-page statement of purpose in both Chinese and English, with a description of your educational background, your experience in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language (TCFL), and your objectives for choosing this program.
Please upload one document in both Chinese and English in the Writing Sample section of the online application.
Please submit your CV by email or mail to the address below.
Address for Submitting Materials
14 Old Chapel Road
Middlebury, VT 05753
Those requiring a visa to study in the U.S should apply for admission and financial aid by March 15 to allow time for the visa application which should begin by May 1.