COVID-19: Essential Information

Student Financial Services Handbook

Student Finances

The mission of the Office of Student Financial Services (SFS) is to offer services and programs to students and parents/families funded through Federal, State, Private and Institutional sources. The primary goal of the Office is to provide eligible students with funds to finance their educational programs within the boundaries of Federal, State, Private and Institutional regulations. The focus of the Office is to help students and parents/ families develop an understanding of the need to be pro-active consumers of educational financing options and opportunities at Middlebury College.

The Office of Student Financial Services (SFS) consists of three functional areas: Financial Aid, Student Accounts and Educational Financing. Our responsibilities include financial aid matters, student account and educational financing issues, loan repayment and student employment functions for current students as well as graduates. Information on the office's policies and procedures is available in the following pages and by calling the phone numbers listed in the Services section below.

Financial Aid

Concern about the cost of a Middlebury education should not prevent you from applying for admission. All aid at Middlebury is based entirely on financial need as determined by the Office of Student Financial Services. We do not offer aid on the basis of merit.

Middlebury is able to meet 100 percent of your assessed need with a combination of aid that typically consists of grant, loan, and work. Eligibility for financial aid is determined by an assessment of your family's income and assets to arrive at an Estimated Family Contribution. If your family's financial situation does not change, you will receive a similar aid package each year you attend Middlebury. You must submit a complete application each year if you wish to be considered for aid. Parents who are divorced or separated are both expected to submit income and asset information and contribute to college expenses to the extent that we determine they are able.

Financial information provided to the College is held in strict confidence, and no information about the amount of aid offered will be released without your approval.

Satisfactory Progress

In compliance with federal financial aid regulations which, as of January 1, 1984, require all colleges to articulate a comprehensive statement of satisfactory progress, Middlebury has drafted a document outlining the criteria a student must meet in order to maintain his or her eligibility for Title IV funds. The complete statement is on file in the Office of Student Financial Services and is available to any student upon request.

Title IV Federal Student Assistance programs include the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Work Study Program, Federal Direct Loan, and Federal Direct PLUS Loan.

Ninth Semester of Aid

Students are expected to complete their bachelor degree program requirements within eight academic terms, and institutional and federal financial assistance is provided with this expectation. However, extenuating circumstances may dictate the need for a full ninth semester.  Financial aid for a ninth semester may be approved if the circumstances requiring it were both extreme, and were beyond the student’s control.  Students in these circumstances must petition the Administration Committee for approval. It is normally not possible for students to receive financial aid for more than nine semesters. Students who need less than a full ninth semester may apply for Special Student status; please see below.

Special Students

The comprehensive fee applies to a course load of three, four, or five courses for a fall or spring term. Students who wish to register for only one or two courses for a fall or spring term may do so with permission from the Registrar's Office. These students are designated as special students and are expected to live and eat off campus. Special students are billed at the per course rate of $8,240 for 2020-2021. Students participating in the ninth semester teacher education program are charged $8,240 for the semester in which they are student teaching; financial aid is available for students in this ninth semester program based on financial need.

In cases with special circumstances, the Administration Committee may grant permission for special students to live and eat on campus. These students are billed the customary comprehensive fee for the term, less the per course rate for one course, as that is the only distinction between these students and those taking three courses during the term.

Academic Fees and Expenses

An administrative fee of $100 is billed to students for each 0555 course approved by the Administration Committee.

Students taking lessons in practical or applied music are billed the standard fee for private instruction. In budgeting for a year's expenses at Middlebury, students and their parents or guardians should also consider the additional personal expenses students normally incur, which are not billed directly by the College. The Student Financial Services Office estimates that for 2020-21, the average student's expenses for books, supplies, and other personal items amounts to $2,000. Travel costs during the year between a student's home and Middlebury must also be taken into consideration beyond this estimate.

Miscellaneous Fines and Fees

Room Swaps and/or room key exchanges:  $400 Room changes must be made through Student Life and keys issued by Public Safety or the Commons. Unapproved room and key exchanges are a violation of College policy and may also result in Official College Discipline.

Unauthorized early arrival/Failure to leave:  $400 Unauthorized presence on campus. This is a per-day fine. Student must be approved to arrive early or remain past the predetermined move-out date.

Senior move out date:  $400 Remaining on campus or in the residence hall past the move-out deadline

Dorm Room Unlock:  $10 First unlock is free

Work order cancellation - lock change: $50 

Failure to return key-Lock Change: $100

Dorm Room Condition: Messy room/suite area; missing furniture;damage: $200 Plus associated costs: replacement, repairs, and Facilities Services labor
Loft and personal furniture - failure to remove $25 Per item plus Facilities Services labor

Pong Tables:  $50
Fire Safety Inspections and Violations: $50 This fine is for any of the violations including those discovered including during a fire safety inspection.

Tampering with fire or life safety equipment - subject unknown: Minimum $50 fine and additional charges to repair or replace equipment. These charges will be borne collectively by the residence hall if the responsible individual(s) cannot be identified.

Tampering with fire or life safety equipment: $300 When an individual is identified, the fine is $300 plus the cost to repair or replace equipment. Discharging fire extinguisher included.

Failure to leave during fire alarm:  $200 Any student who fails to leave a building during a fire alarm or who re-enters before permitted to do so, will be fined

Tapping or tampering with cable television: $100 Those who are responsible may also receive up to $100 in additional fines and be held "liable in a civil action for three times the actual amount of damages sustained thereby" in accordance with the Vermont law on tapping cable television.

Satellite Dish/cost of removal: $50 Plus associated costs: removal, repairs, and Facilities Services labor.

Roof or outer surface - unauthorized access: $100 Climbing on the roof or any outer surface, will result in a fine.

College lounge furniture in student's room: $50 College furniture placed in lounges or other public spaces cannot be moved to student rooms. Fine plus associated costs: removal, repairs, and Facilities Services labor.

Vandalism and physical damage: $100 Plus associated costs: removal, repairs, and Facilities Services labor.

Dining Services: dining halls, Grille, Snow Bowl, Golf Course: $35 Theft of food after hours; theft of dishes, utensils, or any dining service equipment, or failing to pay for the meal.

Pets: $25-$200 There is a fine of $25 plus the cost of impoundment.

Unauthorized keg or common containers: $200

DUI on Campus: $100

Open Containers: $50 First violation is a warning. Any additional violation will result in the fine.

Noise complaint Town fines: $1,000

Bicycles: in unauthorized places or locked to unauthorized structures:  $25
Abandoned bicycles: $50


Late Tuition Payment Fee: $250 per semester

Enrollment Deposits: $300 For first year and transfer students.

Tuition Refund Insurance: $325 per semester/$650 per year explained in Student Finances.

Late Add: $50 Adding after deadline if approved. Process described in Course Registration

Late Drop after 5th week: $50 Dropping after the 5th week with approval. Process explained in Course Registration

Late Add J-Term: $50 The add period for J-Term is 3 days. After the third day, there is a fee. See Course Registration and Winter Term.

0555 Courses: $100 The course must be approved.

Special Students: Associated course fees 

Senior Programs: $150 A maximum value of three course units may be assigned for senior work. Students not enrolled in the College will be charged a fee of $150 for resubmission of senior work.

Not enrolled/Thesis submission fee: A fee of $150 is billed to students who repeat the General Examination or resubmit a thesis while not enrolled at the College.

Transcripts: $5 each

LIS: Fees to be determined Overdue library materials and fines will restrict borrowing privileges. All borrowers are responsible for payment of charges assessed for damaged or lost materials.

Summer programs (Language Schools): Explanation of the fees for Language Schools.

Summer programs (Language Schools): Applying for financial aid for the summer programs is also a separate process from Middlebury College undergraduates. The financial aid application is available online or after November 1.

Storage - academic term: $10 Student storage per item per term. See Storage Info for details

Storage - for Language School students: $4 short storage before and/or after

Bike storage: $15 storage with the Bike Shop - summer only

Academic Year Student Dorm Phone: $50 Request academic year phone with Telephone Services.

Summer Programs

Middlebury offers three summer programs of study to which undergraduates enrolled during the regular College year may apply by contacting the appropriate summer program offices on campus. Admission to a summer program is separate from admission to Middlebury College as an undergraduate. Please contact the offices of the Language Schools, the Bread Loaf School of English, or the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference for detailed information on their programs' application procedures.

Fees for summer can be found at

Applying for financial aid for the summer programs is also a separate process from Middlebury College undergraduates. The financial aid application is available online or after October 1.

The application can be found at

Financial aid credits are applied toward summer program bills, in a manner similar to that described previously under "Comprehensive Fee." The College electronically forwards summer session bills on May 1 for the Language Schools and the Bread Loaf School of English, and on June 1 for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference. The net-billed amount owed (after financial aid credits) is due in full before the first day students are scheduled to arrive to begin their particular session. Due to the brief period of time the summer programs are in session, no payment plans are available through the College or its outside agency.


Credit Refunds
Occasionally, a combination of payments, financial aid credits, or room and board credits creates a net credit balance on a comprehensive fee account. The credit balance is normally left on account to be applied toward the next term's charges for the student. Parents or guardians may also request that a refund check for the credit balance be issued to them as the financially responsible party. If parents or guardians wish to have the refund check issued directly to the student or to have the credit balance applied to the student's miscellaneous charge account, these instructions need to be received in writing from the financially responsible party.

Withdrawal Refunds
In cases of dismissal from the College, no refund of the comprehensive fee is made. In other cases of absence or withdrawal from the College for medical reasons or serious emergencies, fees are refunded according to the schedule below. In all cases, the enrollment deposit is forfeited.

If the withdrawal occurs:

Middlebury refunds

before the first week of the semester

100% of comprehensive fee

during the first week of the semester

90% of comprehensive fee

during the second week of the semester

50% of comprehensive fee

during the third week of the semester

50% of comprehensive fee

during the fourth week of the semester

25% of comprehensive fee

during the fifth week of the semester

25% of comprehensive fee

during the sixth week of the semester

25% of comprehensive fee

during the seventh week of the semester

25% of comprehensive fee

The College will remit approved refunds by check to the party financially responsible for the student's account. To the extent any authorized refund represents in whole or in part the proceeds of any federal financial aid (Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Direct Loan), the amount of the refund to be returned to each of these programs, as well as to the financially responsible party, is based on the applicable federal refund formula as required by law. The applicable portions of such refunds are returned directly to the sources from which the funds were originally received: the federal government or the financially responsible party.

The College offers optional tuition refund insurance through the Tuition Refund Plan administered by A.W.G. Dewar. Second semester tuition refund insurance is available for students entering or returning in spring term.  Premiums are to be paid directly to Dewar, not to the College. Please contact Dewar (617.774.1555) for further information.

Rights and Responsibilities

The College reserves the right to change, if necessary, any charges or fees quoted in this publication.

The College assumes no responsibility for loss of student property through fire, theft, or disappearance.

The College issues an academic transcript of record on request to students wishing to transfer or to receive a statement of their course credits for any other purpose. The first transcript copy is provided free of charge. A fee of $5 is charged for each subsequent copy provided. No fee is charged for transcripts submitted to any branch of the military. The Office of the Registrar will not release a transcript for any student who owes past due charges to the College until satisfactory arrangements have been made with Student Financial Services. Students may not receive final grades or diplomas nor expect honorable dismissal from the College upon completion of their studies until all financial accounts are settled.

Students who wish to be eligible to register for courses in November or May for the subsequent semester or to draw a room in April for the subsequent year need to ensure that all of their financial accounts are current. Any past due charges on a student's account must be settled in full. Students who have dean's loans also need to ensure that their loan payments are current.

Students assume full ultimate responsibility for payment of their accounts, including any other fees charged to their accounts. Should the College have to refer any delinquent account balance to a collection agency once a student is no longer enrolled at the College, the student will then also become liable for any additional collection agency or legal fees incurred by the College to collect the delinquent account.  All students who are readmitted to the College need to be aware that should there be any past due financial accounts at the College, these need to be paid before a student can be readmitted.  Inquiries concerning past due financial obligations should be addressed to Student Financial Services (802.443.5158).  It is also the student's responsibility to obtain health insurance.

As part of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, section 3679 of title 38 any covered individual who is entitled to educational assistance under Ch. 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or Ch. 33 Post-9/11 Benefits is permitted to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides a certificate of eligibility (or Statement of Benefits or VAF 28-1905) for entitlement to educational assistance under Ch. 31 or 33 and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

a)    The Date on which payment from the VA is made to the institution

b)    90 days after the date of the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility

The college will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries or other facilities, or the requirement that the covered individual borrow additional funds on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to delayed disbursement funding from VA under Ch. 31 or 33.

However, the Middlebury College reserves the right to require additional payment or impose a late fee for the amount of tuition or fees due that is the difference between the amount of the covered individual’s financial obligation and the amount of the VA education benefit disbursement.


The Student Financial Services staff can answer questions on financial aid, billing, fees, account balances, refunds, and payment plans. With proper identification (student ID card), the Cashier's Office located at the front of the first floor of the Service Building, will accept payments on student accounts and will also cash traveler's checks and checks from parents or guardians made payable to the student for amounts up to $100. Students should cash their own personal checks at the local bank where the account is maintained. With proper identification (student ID card), students may cash accounts payable or student payroll checks issued by the College at the local banks where the College maintains the accounts on which the checks are drawn. It is not possible to cash College-issued checks at the Cashier's Office.

Tax Reporting Information (Form 1098-T) for
U.S. Citizens and Green Card Holders

Most funds you receive from the College for financial aid to cover tuition, living and school expenses are reportable by Middlebury College on an IRS form called Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement. This includes, but is not limited to additional financial aid you receive from outside sources and most funds you receive from departments at the College for travel, stipends, internships, fellowships, grants or awards. This tax form is mailed each January for the previous calendar year. The form will show tuition billed to you (Box 2) and any additional aid applied to your account (Box 5). Any financial aid that is greater than tuition is taxable income and must be reported as taxable income on your or your parent’s tax return. If you received no aid or aid less than tuition, you may be able to claim an education tax credit. See this website for more information
Although some types of financial aid are not reportable to the IRS on your 1098-T such as financial aid for non-degree programs, aid personally received from outside sources and various departmental aid, they are considered as taxable income and will have to be reported on your tax return. You can find more information on what is or is not taxable under this link:

Tax Reporting Information (Form 1042-S) for
Foreign Nationals

All foreign nationals are required to provide information such as visa, passport, address, etc. for tax filing purposes by filling out a form on a secure website. You will receive an email with a link, username, and password for use on the secure website called FNIS (Foreign National Information System) in advance of your program start date. It is your obligation to respond in a timely matter to this request. Based on the information provided, we will determine whether you are a non-resident alien or a resident alien for tax purposes. We do not share this information with immigration officials. We use this information to determine whether any financial aid received by you or tuition billed to you is reportable to the IRS. Once your tax status is determined, you will be asked to provide signed tax documents (usually a summary of the data you submitted and Form W-8BEN or Form W-9, and in some instances Form 8233). In addition, we generally need copies of the picture page of your passport, visa page of passport, both sides of I-94 and I-20 or DS-2019, etc. depending on your actual visa status. Resident aliens for tax purposes are treated like U.S. citizens and will receive Form 1098-T (see U.S. Citizens and Green Card Holders above). Most funds you receive from the College for financial aid to cover living and school expenses (basically aid greater than tuition), are reportable by Middlebury College on an IRS form 1042-S, Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding. This includes, but is not limited to additional financial aid you receive from outside sources, most funds you receive from departments at the College for travel, stipends, internships, fellowships, grants or awards. This tax form is mailed each February for the previous calendar year. In addition, the College is required to withhold taxes. The tax for most visa types is 14% on the amount greater than tuition and on all other types of funding unless a tax treaty applies. The applicable tax is withheld directly from the aid received and forwarded to the IRS. The tax withholding is reported on your Form 1042-S. For more information on which countries have tax treaties and similar questions see the Tax Office web site.

If you continue to have questions, please contact the Tax Office at Middlebury Tax Office or 802.443.5633.

Student Financial Services

Service Building
84 South Service Road
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753
P: 802.443.5158
F: 802.443.2065