Who Smokes at Middlebury?
Not many students smoke at Middlebury. In fact, the CORE Study conducted on campus in 2001 showed that:
- 93% of Middlebury students don't use tobacco products on a daily basis.
- 83% of Middlebury students use tobacco products less than three times per week.
- Compared to other college students nationally, Middlebury students use tobacco products much less. Nationally, 24% of college students use tobacco products three or more times per week. At Middlebury, that number is 16.6%.
- Close to 60% of Middlebury students indicated they would prefer to live in a tobacco free residence hall unit.
- 55% of Middlebury students had been exposed to second hand smoke on 1 - 7 occasions in the past week. 7% had been exposed on a daily basis.
If you are a tobacco user and would like to quit, you are encouraged to see a nurse at the Parton Health Center, or call the Vermont Quit Line toll-free at 877-YES-QUIT (877-937-7848). Tobacco Cessation assistance is available.