Middlebury Students

I started an application, but decided I want to go in a different semester. Should I start a new application?

The easiest thing to do is actually to email the Advisor for your study abroad program and ask us to switch your program to a different semester.

Externally-sponsored programs and the Middlebury-CMRS Oxford Humanities Program: Stacey Thebodo
Argentina, Chile, Italy, Uruguay: Alessandra Capossela
Brazil, Cameroon, Germany, Spain: Nicole Chance
China, India, Israel, Jordan, Morocco: Bill Mayers
France, Japan, Russia: Susan Parsons

What browser works best for the application?

Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox both work well with http://studyabroad.middlebury.edu. Internet Explorer works only if you have the newest version, otherwise the page may not load correctly. Safari can cause problems.

Can the same professor complete two recommendations?

No. You should have your most recent language professor complete your language assessment, and choose another professor to complete your general recommendation.

How do I submit my application?

Each component of the application (questionnaire, passport copy, etc.) has its own submit button. When all components due by the deadline have been submitted and there is a check mark in the box next to each item, the application will be considered complete.

I have not yet met with Stacey and her appointment slots are full for the rest of J-term – what do I do?

You still need to complete the Middlebury Study Abroad Application by Feb. 1. The best thing to do is attend Stacey's walk-in advising hours (Mon/Wed 3:30-5:00; Thurs. 11:00-12:00) or the special walk-in advising session January 23, 3:30-6:00. You can also sign up to meet with Stacey at the beginning of spring semester.  If you need to make changes to your application at that time, that should not be a problem (you may need to re-do parts of the application that are program/university-specific, but that can be addressed at that time).

Who should complete my recommendations?

Your language assessment should come from your current or your most recent language professor.

Your major advisor approval(s) should come from your major advisor(s).

I am applying to multiple universities abroad – do I need to complete multiple Middlebury Study Abroad Applications?

You only need to complete one Middlebury application, even if you are applying to multiple programs/universities – complete the Middlebury application for your first choice, then later if you need to change it, that should be fine, as long as your adviser approves and as long as you are switching to a program/university normally approved by Middlebury.  If you change programs/universities, you may need to re-do parts of the application that are program/university-specific, but that should not be a problem.  You should indicate in your Middlebury application that you are applying to additional universities (and which ones). 

NOTE: the exception to this is if you are applying to one of the exchanges (East Anglia, Nottingham, Swarthmore, Spelman, AVIC) and are also applying to other universities, please complete your Middlebury Study Abroad Application for the exchange university, since we need to know right away how many students are applying for these programs.  

If you are applying to two different programs/universities for two different semesters, then you DO need to complete a Middlebury Study Abroad Application for both semesters/programs.


What do I do if my major advisor is also my most recent language professor?

Please request the language assessment form from your professor using the online request. Then, ask your professor to email internationalprograms@middlebury.edu and indicate that he/she is also your major advisor and approves of your plans to study abroad.

Students from other Colleges and Universities

I saved an application, now where can I find it?

Go to studyabroad.middlebury.edu and use the log-in links at the top of the page to access your existing application.

How do I upload a copy of my passport?

You can find scanners to make a copy of your passport on campus here: http://www.middlebury.edu/offices/technology/help/technology/equipment/scanners

You can enter your email address to send a digital copy of your passport to yourself and then save it to your computer. This digital copy can be uploaded to your application by clicking on the file folder icon in the application and choosing the saved file.

Who should complete my recommendations?

Your study abroad advisor approval should come from someone who works in your school's study abroad office.

Your language assessment should come from your current or your most recent language professor.

For students applying to the Schools in India or the United Kingdom, your general recommendation should come from another professor who has taught you in class. They do not need to teach you in the language of your study abroad program, but should know you well enough to know how you would respond in a new environment.

I'm also applying to Language School. Does my language professor need to complete two separate recommendations?

Great! No, your professor only needs to complete the language assessment once. Let us know that your professor already completed an assessment and we will obtain a copy from the Language School Coordinator.

Do I meet the language requirement?

If you started your language before arriving at college, tested out of a class due to summer study, or are a heritage speaker, that's great! We just need to see that you have taken a college course that is at an equivalent or higher level than the last required course of the language prerequisite.

My recommender didn't get my recommendation. What should I do?

Please ask your recommender to check in their Spam or Junk mail folders. It is common for mail to get directed there the first time people receive a request.

If they cannot find the recommendation there, ask the recommender to add internationalprograms@middlebury.edu to their contacts. Then, you can email internationalprograms@middlebury.edu and we will resend the recommendation. Here are instructions from Gmail: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/9008

If that doesn't work, you can click View/Print the recommendation from your Recommendations page, and then give a paper copy to your professor. He/she can mail or fax it to us at: 802-443-3157.

Do I need to declare my major before I can apply to go abroad?

Yes. You must declare your major by February 1st. The major declaration form can be found on the Registrar's Office web page.

When will a decision be made about my application?

Applicants who apply in the fall or winter will be notified on February 15th of the academic year preceding study abroad. Applicants whose applications are completed after February 15th (or anytime in the fall, if they are applying to study abroad during the following spring semester) will be immediately notified of acceptance into the program, and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline. Some Schools Abroad will fill before the deadline.