- Immediately report all suspicious people or vehicles around parking areas to Public Safety.
- When you park, keep your vehicle locked and the windows rolled up.
- Have your key ready when you approach your car. Check inside and under your car to make sure no one is hiding in either place.
- Never leave your vehicle unattended with the engine running.
- Choose to park in well-lit lots, preferably in heavily traveled areas.
- Lock all packages, luggage, and valuables in the trunk or out of sight.
- Keep spare keys in your wallet or purse, not inside the vehicle.
- If your car breaks down, open the hood and then stay locked inside the vehicle. If someone stops to help, don’t open your window or door, but ask that this person call for assistance.
- If you’re unfamiliar with the location you’re heading to, ask someone for specific directions before you leave.
- If you get lost, don’t pull over until you find a well-lit public area where you can ask for directions.
- If you suspect you’re being followed, drive to a well-lit public area and call the police.
- If someone with a weapon confronts you, wanting your vehicle, give the car up. It’s not worth potentially being injured or losing your life over it.
Department of Public Safety
125 South Main St.
Middlebury, VT 05753