The MiddCard is your official form of identification at Middlebury College.

 Proctor Dining Hall Card Printing Services 

In an effort to consolidate Middlebury’s card services and provide better service to our community, card printing has been moved to the Dining Services office in Proctor Hall. 

The entrance to the office is on the Hillcrest road side of the building, look for the glass door between the two large evergreen trees.

If you need an ID card printed please email to start the process. 

  • Please be aware that staff, faculty and students need to have an approved photo uploaded in the Middlebury online directory before an ID card can be printed. The directory can be found at this link Middlebury Directory  
  • The upload from the directory to the card access system could take one business day. Please email to check in before arriving at the office in Proctor.

Questions about building access, lost and stolen cards, should still be directed to

Questions about meal plan accounts and issues with dining hall check stations, should be directed to

During your time at Middlebury, you will find that using you MiddCard will be an important aspect of your daily life. Students are required to carry their identification card at all times. The card qualifies a student for all privileges afforded to College ID holders, allows students to identify themselves to College officials, and gives them access to residence halls controlled by the Card Access System.

You should protect the card just like a credit card, driver’s license, or other valuable piece of identification.

  • You are expected to take reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorized use.
  • The cards are the property of the college and should be presented or surrendered to college staff upon request.

Find more information about MiddCard polices in the Middlebury College handbook.

Card Care and Replacement

It is important to keep your card with you at all times and protect your card from damage as much as possible. In the event that your card is lost or damaged, contact the Department of Public Safety Office as soon as possible. If you find your card, you will need to bring your MiddCard to the Access and Parking Services Office in Public Safety in order to reactivate your card. Please note that you will need to keep your card in a safe place while you are away from campus. You will need your card when you return.

  • Email or call the Department of Public Safety to report lost card.
    • Students: There is a Lost or Damaged card fee of $20.00. Replacement cards can be purchased online via credit card. Cards can be picked up at  Campus Services Office in Lower Proctor.
    • Faculty and Staff: Report lost cards to Public Safety. You can request new cards at the Campus Services Office in Lower Proctor. There is no fee.

Temporary Access Cards

A temporary access card can be issued to a cardholder who has lost or forgotten an access card. The temporary card is issued by the Department of Public Safety and is valid for a period of time not to exceed three days. Temporary cards deactivate automatically and will no longer open doors to buildings.

There is a $20.00 fine for failing to return a temporary card to Public Safety within three days. The fine can be paid online.

Contact Information

Frequently Asked Questions


Your ID Card serves as identification, is used for dining, allows access into your residence hall and some buildings, events, and also provides you with the ability to check out reference materials from the library.


If your ID card isn’t working to let you into a building, there may be a few different reasons why:

Your ID card is broken: ID cards use a Micro-chip and Antenna molded into the card itself. If the chip or Antenna is broken, your ID Card won’t work at any buildings (or may provide very sporadic access). 

The system is picking up the wrong card. Many students have multiple ID cards (Language School & Academic year cards, lost one then found it after purchasing a new card, etc.) and only one card will work at the reader. If both cards are stored in a wallet, purse, or backpack and that is swiped in front of a reader, there is a 50/50 chance of the system reading the wrong card and denying you access. This is often the case where a backpack swiped more than once at a reader grants access on the 2nd or 3rd try. 

Note: New proximity based Credit cards or ID Cards from other institutions may also be picked up by the access system.

Your card or account has been deactivated or does not have the appropriate permissions. If you have multiple ID Cards (language school, found card, etc.), only one will be active. It is important that you use only the active card. Verify with Public Safety by email or phone that the card you have in your possession is the active one and that you have the appropriate access permissions.  

The door is not functioning properly. If your card is not working properly at one door but it is working correctly at others, please notify the appropriate individuals.

  • Faculty and Staff should notify Facilities.
  • Students should notify Residential Life. 
  • After hours, notify Public Safety if it cannot wait until the next business day.

The building is offline or not functioning properly. If you are experiencing issues accessing a building that you have been able to previously, please contact the Department of Public Safety.

Student access is not authorized at that location. There are some areas on campus where students have limited or no access and this can vary based upon days, hours, or even minutes. There may also be certain students authorized to enter access controlled areas while others are not. 


No. ID Cards allow access to the residential halls that are on the card access system. Individual doors have a touch code lock and your code is in your on-line housing information along with your room assignment, dates available, etc.


For safety purposes, we cannot remotely unlock any access controlled door. People can stop by the Public Safety Office located at 125 South Main street or the Dining Services and Card Printing Office located in the lower level of Proctor dining hall to pick up a temporary access card.  If you cannot come to the office, please call Public Safety. We can have the nearest available officer meet you at your residence hall door.

More about lockout services.


If you have lost your ID Card, please do the following:

  • Contact the Public Safety Office and immediately so it can be deactivated to prevent use by anyone else.
  • Stop by the Public Safety office or Dining Services and Card Printing Office to pick up a temporary access card if you believe you have misplaced your ID card. Temporary access cards may be used for up to 3 days, to provide time to locate your ID card. These cards must be returned to Public Safety or the Dining Services and Card Printing Office after they expire to avoid being charged a Temp Card replacement fee.
  • Purchase a new ID. Please check the handbook for the current cost to replace an ID card.

Purchase a new ID. There is a fee for the replacement of student ID Cards. Please check the handbook for the current cost to replace an ID card.


If your ID card was stolen, contact the Department of Public Safety and immediately to have it deactivated and file a report. A stolen ID card means that someone other than you has access to all of the access controlled buildings on campus. Public safety will deactivate the card and mark it as stolen.  If it is used to attempt to access a building, it will generate an alarm in the Public Safety office. Officers can be dispatched to the last location the card was used. 

After you have reported your ID card as stolen, you may sign out a temporary access card for three days or you may purchase a new ID card.

If you locate your stolen ID card:

  • Do not attempt to use it. (It won’t work, and officers will be dispatched if you do)
  • Take the card to the Department of Public Safety to have your Incident Report and card status updated.
  • Keep the card in a safe place.

If your card is broken, worn out, or in need of replacement, new ID cards can be purchased online.  In the event that a card needs replacement, the Dining Services and Card Printing Office in lower Proctor can print new ID cards. 


If you find an ID card belonging to someone else:

  • Do not attempt to use the card (as it may have been reported as stolen).
  • Immediately contact Public Safety to turn in the card. 

If you find your old ID card, please do the following:

  • If you haven’t purchased a new ID yet, stop by the Public Safety Office to have your card reactivated
  • If you have purchased a replacement ID card, contact the Public Safety Office to have the card’s status changed from Lost/Stolen to Deactivated. This will prevent alarms from being generated at Public Safety if the card is used accidentally.
  • Keep your card in a safe place and do not use it as:
    • The card will not work to allow you access to buildings.
    • It may interfere with your active card if stored in the same wallet or purse.

Unfortunately, no. The ID card materials, printing, and the time to update your record/produce a new card have already been spent so we cannot refund any money. We do recommend that you store the old card in a safe place should it need to be reactivated at a later date. 


Access questions related to Bicentennial Hall should be directed to Cathy Ekstrom, Administrative Program Coordinator.



No!  Access cards have both a microchip and antenna which is molded into the card itself. If you punch a hole through either one of these, the card will be rendered inoperable and you will need to purchase a new ID card.

The Bookstore carries a variety of ID card holders.

Department of Public Safety
125 South Main St.
Middlebury, VT 05753