Courses offered in the past four years.
▲ indicates offered in the current term
▹ indicates offered in the upcoming term[s]
FREN6612 - Language & Theater
This course aims at developing ease and fluidity of oral communication in French. With the support of three contemporary Francophone plays, students will discover the diversity of the French languages by working on pronunciation, quality of their voice, gesture and breathing.
The course will be articulated in a dynamic, participative and creative way around three axes:
1) Dramaturgical approach of the plays: reading, discussion, analysis;
2) Exercises stemming from the theatrical pedagogy to improve the qualities of articulation, pronunciation, memorization, verbal ease and public speaking;
3) Staging extracts of the studied plays, which will close the course.
This year, we will work on the theme of the “exile”. To be in exile of a country and/or of yourself…
- FREN 6612 Coursepack
- Aiat FAYEZ, Les corps étrangers, ISBN: 9782851817501
- Aristide TARNAGDA, Si je les tuais tous madame? *ISBN:* 978-2-87282-957-6 Language & Stylistics
FREN6661 - Cinema in its Making
This course aims to introduce students to the technique of making a documentary or a fictional film and to writing a screenplay. By analyzing several films and their scenarios, students will learn the importance and value of the staging of a narrative, of character-driven dialogue and of appropriate settings. They will also learn how different camera angles can change, reinforce or undermine particular situations. Applying these writing and directing concepts, students will create and present a documentary scenario and a short film script with a story board.
Required text: 1) La nuit américaine réalisé par François Truffaut
édition Petite bibliothèque des Cahiers du Cinéma Civ Cul & Soc