I am Clueless! Where do I start?

Leave it to the experts! We advise faculty and staff to work through their academic coordinators and administrative assistants. Most have received training in how to plan and schedule events.

Students, please visit our web site for info on Student Event Planning.

25Live – What is that?

25Live a database search engine. It gives you direct access to the current class and event schedule. You can quick-check event information anytime, anywhere. Visit our online User Guide for instructions.

Play with it! You cannot change or delete information. You have “view only” access.

Alcohol - Who may serve alcoholic beverages at my event?

It is required by law that alcohol be provided by either the College or by a licensed, approved alcohol provider.

Unless it is a private student gathering meeting the criteria for Registered Party or Informal Gathering. PLEASE REVIEW Residential Life Party Information.

College facilities that remain licensed to provide alcohol are Atwater Dining Hall, McCullough Grille/Juice Bar & Social Space, 51 Main @ the Bridge, Proctor Dining Hall & Ross Dining Hall.

The list of approved caterers identifies those caterers who are licensed to provide alcohol service.


Alcohol - May I purchase and serve beer, wine, or liquor for an event myself?

NO!  By law, ALL alcohol served for events MUST be provided by a licensed, approved caterer.

Unless it is a private student gathering meeting the criteria for Registered Party or Informal Gathering. PLEASE REVIEW Residential Life Party Information.

Alcohol - What is the lead time for planning an event w/alcohol in an unlicensed venue?

Generally, a minimum of 21 days.  It is best to consult with the caterer providing the alcohol to be sure, as each caterer may have their own requirements.

Crowd Control – What’s my responsibility?

Any event with an expected occupancy greater than 50 people shall have a minimum of one trained crowd manager. Where the occupant load exceeds 250, additional crowd managers shall be provided at a ratio of 1 crowd manager for every 250 occupants. As the event organizer, you are expected to plan to meet this requirement.

You may contact the Department of Public Safety (802-443-5133) to hire a crowd manager. Or, you may contact the Student Employment Office for information on availability of student crowd managers:  seo@middlebury.edu or  802-443-5377.

Please review the Environmental Health & Safety web site for complete details on Crowd Management requirements, and how to obtain crowd manager training.

Events – What qualifies as an “event?”

Anything not course related that requires dedicated use of space (even outdoor space): meetings, lectures, workshops, receptions, etc.  ALL events must be scheduled through Event Management or the appropriate Event Scheduler.

Events that are only open to enrollees of a particular academic course(typically film screenings and lectures) are considered “course related.” Please refer course related requests to the Course Scheduler in the Registrar’s Office at 443-5069.

Event Cancellation - Who do I inform if my event is cancelled?

As soon as possible, release the space you have reserved. Then, contact the caterer directly. If you’ve arranged food service through Dining Services or Grille Catering (including pick up service) contact them immediately to prevent food from being ordered or prepared unnecessarily. Then, be sure to inform the HelpDesk & Public Safety if you have arranged for support from their office.


BE SURE TO FAMILIARIZE yourself with the change or cancellation policies of each caterer.


Event Changes - Who do I inform if event details change?

Changes in date, time, or venue MUST be routed through the appropriate scheduling channel FIRST. It will then be necessary for you to contact your caterer, the HelpDesk, and Public Safety (if you have arranged for support from them) to inform them of any approved changes.

Event Planning - What is the "7 Day Rule?"

All event plans must be completed at least 7 days in advance of the event date to ensure successful support for your event. This includes arrangements for space, equipment, and services (Dining Services, Facilities Services, Media Services, and Public Safety). Requests for service support less than 7 days in advance of the event will not be honored.

Additional lead time is required to plan large scale events, depending on expected attendance:
>200 people = minimum 4 weeks
200-500 people = 2 months
>500 people - 3 months

All details for large scale events should be finalized 2 weeks prior to the event date to ensure the success of your event.

Event Set-Up - How do I arrange for set-up & clean-up for my event?

Service needs are arranged through the Event Scheduler who reserved the space for you. All service and equipment needs are noted in Resource25 (our scheduling software) and communicated to service providers via R25. The cost of providing service will be billed to your event budget.

Note: Non-college caterers are expected to clean up and remove any equipment or food they provided for your event - including trash.

Live Performances - Who can help me plan?

After you have contacted the Department of Event Management to discuss potential dates and venues, the Production Advisory Group (PAG) may be contacted to further facilitate the process. You may also be asked to submit a Performance Proposal Form. Please visit the PAG’s web site for details.

Non-College Catering - What expectations should I be aware of?
  • The caterer will arrange with you (the event planner) the window of time they need to set up and clean up the event.
  • At no time will they arrive to set up earlier than 3 hours prior to the start of the event.
  • All events will be cleaned up no later than 3 hours after the event ends.
  • Facilities Services will set up tables & chairs for your event.Their labor will be charged to your event budget.
  • Caterers will provide the necessary service items for the event (linens, dishes, etc.)
  • Caterers will work directly with the event planner and at no time contact service providers directly.
  • Caterers will work with the event planner to arrange for building access.
  • All trash resulting from the catering service of the event will be removed by the caterer and not disposed of on campus.


Non-College Caterers - Can they serve anywhere on campus?

Yes, anywhere except those areas where Dining Services operates: Atwater Dining Hall, McCullough, Proctor, Ross, and 51 Main.


Non-College Catering - May I make arrangements with the caterer of my choice?

Yes!  As long as your event is being held in a venue that is not licensed by the College and the caterer you desire is listed on the approved list of non-college caterers.

Bills or reimbursements for expenses related to catering services for caterers who are not on the current approved list will not be processed for payment by the Controller’s Office.

Please check the list regularly for current approved caterers. Middcatering maintains the list of approved caterers.

Non-College Catering - How much additional time should I reserve for my caterer to set up and clean up?

It will be necessary for you to work with the caterer to identify the appropriate amount of time required, based upon the level of service they will provide. It is then necessary that you work with the scheduler who reserved the room for you to build that time into the reservation as appropriate.


Non-College Catering - How does my caterer access the event venue?

For events scheduled in buildings with key-card access, contracted caterers can obtain a temporary access card by stopping in at Public Safety when they arrive on campus. Public Safety is located at 125 South Main Street.
For other venues (unless normally unlocked), it will be necessary for you, as the event planner, to arrange to meet the caterer on site to unlock the facility for them. It will also be necessary for you to plan on returning to lock the facility after the caterer has completed their cleaning.

Exception: Approved non-college caterers servicing events at Kirk Alumni Center should pick up keys for that facility at Public Safety.

Non-College Catering - May the caterer contact Event Management or service departments directly for information?

To avoid these departments making event decisions that may impact the planning or costs related to the event, it is best if all questions for on-campus service are routed through the College member that is planning the event.  Please do not advise caterers to contact anyone directly.

Outdoor Events - How do I plan one?

All outdoor events are scheduled by submitting an Event Reservation Request.

The Department of Event Management will assist you in coordinating services.Those services will be charged to your event budget.

Publicity – How do I advertise my event?

If you wish to post your event to the online Calendar of Events, please indicate “Yes” on the Event Reservation Request form when you request a space.  If you have text available at that time, you may submit it via the same form in the Calendar Text section, and you may submit a photo at the end of the form.

If you need to add calendar text or a photo after your event has been confirmed and booked by Event Management, please submit it via the Event Calendar Posting Request form on our website.

In addition to appearing in the online calendar, Featured Events (those open to the general public) will be included in a weekly all-campus email during the academic year.

Registered Parties - What's the difference?

Parties arranged by students must follow the requirements as described in the Residential Life web site.  See Party Information.
The rules that govern registered parties do not apply to any other events on campus.

Venues - Can events be scheduled in College dining venues?

Yes! See the Middlebury College Catering Options for details.

Wireless Network - How do I access the campus wireless network?

Visit this ITS Wiki website for instructions:

Please direct any additional questions to the Technology HelpDesk at 802-443-2200 or HelpDesk@middlebury.edu.