What do I do with my grant proposal endorsement form?

What you do with your endorsement form depends on whether you are applying for the first time, asking for a renewal, applying for a supplement, or revising your budget. To find out which procedure applies to your situation, check here.

The student researchers on my NSF-funded project have to be trained in the Responsible Conduct of Research. Do I have to develop a new course?

No, we’re using online training. To learn more about the College’s training plan, click here.

Students who will do research that involves human subjects may also have to complete online research ethics training in the ethical issues related to human-subjects research. Please see the IRB website for more information.

My wife will help work on my research this year, and I plan to pay several months of her salary using grant funds. Do my proposed budget and budget justification constitute adequate notification?

No. You must fill out a Family Relationship Disclosure form (available here) and submit with your endorsement form.

Do I need approval from the College to buy equipment for my project?

Yes. You’ll need to fill out the equipment section of your endorsement form. Discuss proposed equipment with your department chair, and the appropriate administrator (Sciences: Director of Sciences, Arts: Director of Arts, all others: Dean of Curriculum). You may also need to discuss with a person responsible for that type of equipment (e.g. IT or LIS administrator). Signatures to document these discussions are required; emails in lieu of signature are also acceptable. Include the item's cost, the location of the item, maintenance provisions, and installation requirements. Estimate annual maintenance costs and provide College budget numbers (and authorizing signatures) for the accounts that will be charged, both during the grant period and after it expires.

I was just notified that my grant has been funded! What do I do with the award documentation?

If the grant will fund your scholarship and research, give the original paperwork to OGSP's Sponsored Research staff. If the grant has been awarded for an institutional project, give it to OGSP's Corporate and Foundation Relations staff. Any funds go to the Grants Accounting Office, who will set up the Banner account for your grant.

I need something for my project that wasn’t listed in the grant budget awarded—can I charge it to the grant?

You probably can, but first you must check with OGSP or the Grants Accounting Office. If your grant terms allow the College to authorize the expenditure, fill out an OPAS form to request the budget changes. If your grant terms require the sponsor to authorize the expenditure, OGSP will help facilitate this.

How do I book grant-funded travel?

Follow College policies and procedures for work-related travel.

Remember that for travel using federal funds, air travel must be on a U.S. airline. There are a few exceptions (contact OGSP for more details), but cost is not one of them.

My question isn’t on this page!

Email it to us, so we can answer you—and use your question to improve this website. Thanks!