Thank you for providing opportunities for Middlebury students to get real-world experience!
Internships are considered a high-impact learning practice. They are key to providing students with an experiential opportunity for exploring career options, connecting to academic work, and/or pursuing a deep personal interest.
The mission of the Center for Careers and Internships (CCI) is to empower students to apply their liberal arts education and engage the world through their professional pursuits, active citizenship and life’s work. The internship you are offering is a major contributor in helping them move towards this goal.
What makes a great internship for Middlebury students?
- Thoughtful training and orientation to ensure that the student is "set up for success." This could include sessions on the unique culture in your workplace and offering professional development opportunities, such as brown-bag lunches and informational interviews with other employees at the organization.
- Challenging projects with a meaningful impact, with the opportunity to interact with others.
- A safe and productive working environment that fosters professionalism and ethical conduct.
- An adequate number of weekly hours throughout the agreed-upon internship duration. For example, in Winter Term (four weeks in January) 25 hours a week is typical. In Summer, another very popular time for students, 35-40 hours a week is more common. In Fall and Spring semesters, two difficult times for students to balance both an internship and their coursework, no more than 5-10 hours a week would be recommended.
How can a good intern supervisor best support Middlebury students?
- Assist in the development of goals and objectives and a specific plan to meet them.
- Provide a structured list of the intern's expected responsibilities and explain mechanisms for evaluation.
- Meet with the intern regularly to provide guidance and constructive feedback.
What do I do now to post my internship?
Please complete the information below as fully and accurately as possible. If we have questions, we'll follow up. Once the position is posted to our database, we'll notify you. We'll then do our best to promote and advertise your opportunity and follow up with you once again after the deadline to check in.
Please note: For unpaid Summer Term Internships we recommend using a March 15, 2015 deadline date to ensure enough time to interview students and make an offer, which in turn will enable them to have sufficient time to apply for Middlebury College internship funding if necessary (deadline April 1, 2015).
Middlebury College does not offer college credit for summer internships.
Thanks again for posting your internship.
Questions? Please feel free to contact us at any time to talk more about your internship opportunities.