Serious students have the opportunity to earn credit for an internship.*
Interns will be required to fulfill a variety of work-related and academic assignments:
- Interns will work 16 hours a week during an eight-week period of the semester.
- Interns will complete an independent research paper in the target language that will be graded by a faculty member on site.
- Interns will keep a daily journal in the target language of their activity at the internship that should be a record of the internship experience: recording assignments given, tasks completed, personal impressions (of the field of employment and host site's role in it), etc.
- Upon completion of the internship, Students must submit a 1-2 paragraph summary description of the internship (in English) for posting on our webpage.
- Interns must also complete an evaluation form at the end of their internship.
- Interns will earn credit equal to that of a regular course for the internship and take one less class that semester compared to the normal course load. Students may not take the normal full load of courses for their site AND also receive academic credit for their internship. Internships will receive a letter grade.
- Interns are not allowed to receive any salary or other financial support from their internship hosts.
At the start of the internship, internship students, their internship supervisor and the internship coordinator will sign a form agreeing to the terms for receiving credit. At the end of the internship, all parties will sign a similar form verifying that all requirements were met. Upon receiving these three signatures, the internship will appear on the student's Middlebury transcript and the student will receive academic credit.
* Students from colleges and universities other than Middlebury will need pre-approval from their home insitution in order to receive credit for an internship.