The use of alcohol on campus is strictly regulated by Vermont state law.

Licensed Venues

Middlebury College maintains state liquor licenses for the following venues where alcohol may be served: Middlebury College DLC certified employees may serve at the locations below.  Outside caterers may not serve alcohol at a permanently licensed location.  

  • Atwater Dining Hall
  • Bread Loaf Inn
  • Kirk Alumni Center, Tavern on the Tee and the Ralph Myhre Golf course

Unlicensed Venues

Alcohol may only be served at venues that have an approved Vermont Department of Liquor Control catering license. This may be retained by Middlebury College Catering or an approved non-College caterer. Only employees of the licensed entity may serve alcohol at an event. Bring-your-own-bottle (BYOB) events are never permitted.

Plan ahead! The licensing process may take up to 21 business days.

Student Events

Students may serve alcohol only at Registered Private Parties or small informal gatherings. See Residential Life’s Party Information.

Outdoor Events

Outdoor events also require appropriate liquor control measures, including adequate barriers (usually fencing) and additional staffing as a condition of licensing. Event Management and/or Dining Services will advise as to what is necessary.


  • It is illegal in the State of Vermont for people under the age of 21 years to possess or drink alcoholic beverages.
  • It is illegal in the State of Vermont to supply or sell alcoholic beverages to anyone under the age of 21 years.
  • Bringing alcohol to a College event, or leaving a College event with alcoholic beverages provided at the event, is prohibited by Vermont state law.
  • Catering staff or security may confiscate alcohol in possession of someone illegally.
  • We maintain the right to refuse service to anyone.     

Additional Policies