Weekly Web Updates - November 15, 2021
| by Adam Franco, Ian McBride, and Pooja Gunturu
This week we updated our older www.middlebury.edu site now uses the encrypted HTTPS protocol for all browsing. We had held off on this change for a number of years because users had embedded images and videos in the site with absolute http:// URLs, which would break with that change to force encryption. With much content moved off to new native-HTTPS pages, some helpful instructions to browsers, and a lot of testing we were able to make this change without significant impacts to content visibility.
- Drupal file_entity 7.x-2.33
- Drupal purge 8.x-3.1 and 8.x-3.2
- WordPress 5.8.2
- WordPress auto-post-thumbnail plugin 3.9.3
- WordPress enable-media-replace plugin 3.6.2
- WordPress wysija-newsletters plugin 2.17
- WordPress ml-slider plugin 3.23.2
- WordPress seriously-simple-podcasting plugin 2.9.6
- WordPress sydney-toolbox plugin 1.18
- WordPress wp-accessibility plugin 1.7.10
- WordPress hueman theme 3.7.18
Fixes and Tweaks
- The Events site now clears the page number when choosing a new date in the date-picker, preventing user confusion.
- The Events site now automatically updates category, location, and organization names when they are updated in 25Live and are associated with upcoming events.
- Improved the user experience of scrolling through sections of the new Middlebury Handbook site.
- Images from stories on our new Drupal 9 sites are now included as enclosures in tag page RSS feeds.
- Added a special footer for our new undergraduate academic department sites which will be editable by department coordinators with a contextual edit button.
- Resolved an issue with the Card Carousel components on the homepages of the Institute and Language Schools sites.
- Added a deadline CTA banner for the new Online TESOL program at the Institute.
- Two minor fixes to the new Alumni Businesses collection on that office’s site.
- The undergraduate College site now has a special role for editors who need to update the Requirements pages of academic department sites.
Information Technology Services
Davis Family Library 202
Middlebury, VT 05753