Financial aid and special funding help make your Bread Loaf education affordable.
As a Bread Loaf student, you may be eligible for need-based grants, as well as on-campus student jobs that are available at our Vermont campus. In addition, Bread Loaf offers a limited number of fellowships and scholarships that are made possible through special funding. Please refer to Bread Loaf Special Funding for more information on our fellowships and scholarships and to apply. Monthly payment plans and private education loans are also available.
During the summer of 2023, approximately 67 percent of Bread Loaf students received grants, with an average award of $7,196.
You should apply early for financial aid, as funds are limited. The aid application for the upcoming summer session is generally available beginning in mid-October. Applications for special funding are available in January. Financial aid will be awarded in two main rounds in February and April 2024, according to the schedule in the Awarding for Summer 2024 section below, and then continue on a rolling basis until funds are depleted.
To be considered for need-based grants from Middlebury you must:
- Be admitted to Bread Loaf or, for returning students, officially re-enrolled
- Complete a Middlebury Summer Programs Financial Aid Application for Bread Loaf, available in October 2023
- Middlebury College current undergraduate students should complete the Undergraduate Summer Financial Aid Request Form, available in October 2023.
There are specific deadlines for some Bread Loaf special funding opportunities. Refer to the individual scholarship application instructions for details. The Middlebury Summer Programs Financial Aid Application for Bread Loaf becomes available in October. Deadlines for need-based grants awarded during the two main rounds are outlined below. After March 30, need-based grants are awarded on a rolling basis. Grant funds are limited and do run out so students are encouraged to apply early.
Awarding for Summer 2024
Need-based financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, based on the later of one of these two dates, as follows:
- The date your completed financial aid application was received by the Office of Student Financial Services
- The date you completed your Bread Loaf application for admission or re-enrollment form.
Students will receive their financial aid notification in two main blocks, depending on the completion of their Bread Loaf enrollment.
- To receive an aid decision by February 16, 2024: new students will need to complete their Bread Loaf applications for admission and financial aid by January 26, 2024; returning students will need to submit their re-enrollment forms and financial aid application by February 9, 2024.
- To receive an aid decision by April 19, 2024: new students will need to complete their Bread Loaf applications for admission and financial aid by March 15, 2024; returning students will need to submit their re-enrollment forms and financial aid application by March 29, 2024.
- Anyone who is enrolled after March 30, 2024 will receive a decision on a rolling basis.
Bread Loaf will review and award special fellowships and scholarships across two periods following the February 16 and April 19 aid awarding dates. For best access to financial aid and special funding, apply and enroll early.