The Vermont Language Teacher Scholarship
In an effort to share its language resources with as many teachers and students as possible, Middlebury will offer the Vermont Language Teacher Scholarship for the summer 2017 Language Schools.
Two scholarships will be awarded, each covering the full cost of the program (tuition, room, and board):
- One scholarship for a current language teacher in Vermont. The applicant must be currently employed as a language teacher in a Vermont secondary school and want either to engage in further study of the language currently being taught, or to undertake the teaching of a second foreign language.
- One scholarship for a Middlebury College undergraduate student who is enrolled in the Middlebury Educational Studies program and is in the process of becoming certified to teach a foreign language. The student must receive the endorsement of the Director of the Program in Educational Studies at Middlebury College.
Applicants who wish to undertake the study of a new language must submit a statement making a case for the relevance of this language to their career goals as well as a letter from their principal.
To be considered, students need to submit all components for the application by the deadline, midnight, Eastern Time, on December 15, 2016:
1. Middlebury Language Schools online application (available in October)
2. Application fee ($75 or fee waiver)
3. Official transcript(s)
4. Letter(s) of recommendation for the Language Schools program
5. Online Scholarship Form*
6. A letter from the school principal (or Director of the Program in Educational Studies in the case of Middlebury College students) nominating the applicant for the Vermont Language Teacher Scholarship, explaining how the program would contribute both to personal development and to the goals of the applicant. Send to VT Teachers Scholarship, Middlebury Language Schools, 14 Old Chapel Road, Middlebury, VT 05753.
*Once you submit your admission application to the Language Schools, you will receive an email/link to your application tracker. The online scholarship form is available through the link after you have submitted your application.
Selection Process & Notification
Once a scholarship applicant has been accepted for admission, the application will be submitted to the Dean of the Language Schools, who will review and select finalists. Selection will be based on demonstrated commitment to language teaching and evidence of academic ability and language competence. Students will be notified of the decisions by email in February.
The Scholarship is competitive, and we recognize that there are more qualified applicants than we are able to assist through this program. Applicants who are admitted but not selected to receive a Scholarship will retain their status as admitted students and may choose to enroll at their own expense or apply for need-based financial aid through Middlebury’s Office of Student Financial Services. Applicants should apply for financial aid before the scholarship decision is made, for the best chance of receiving a financial aid grant.
The Vermont Teacher Scholarship program is for one summer only; recipients may not re-apply for assistance from this program. Recipients may, however, reapply to a Language School for additional summers of study or for degree candidacy.