Student Organization Travel
Any group of students traveling away from the campus on a College-sponsored trip is required to follow the guidelines and policies listed below.
- Use of personal vehicles for student organization travel is discouraged.
- Groups are strongly encouraged to:
- use College or outside rental vehicles, or to explore public transportation options when they travel
- plan all travel to minimize driving in darkness
- exercise conservative judgment regarding travel in poor weather. If in doubt about driving conditions, pull over or change plans.
- All drivers should review the College’s Driver’s License policy prior to departure.
- The use of College and/or personal vehicles for student organization travel is limited to a 500 mile radius around campus. Student organization travel outside this radius must involve the use of public transportation options. There are no exceptions to this policy.
- For travel over 500 miles, groups must submit a travel plan to their cluster manager at least one month in advance of travel. The travel plan should include the following information:
- Purpose of travel
- Primary contact (name, email and cell phone number)
- List of students who will be traveling
- Mode of transportation
- Drivers must submit a Trip Departure Form to Vehicle Rentals prior to departure for any trips involving College and/or outside rental vehicles.
- Individual drivers must limit their driving time to a maximum of 3 hours per day.
- Drivers must drive within posted speed limits at all times. Failure to do so may result in the revocation of college van licenses and in additional consequences for the student organization involved.
- Trips shall not depart from any location nor should driving take place between the hours of 1:00AM and 5:00AM.
- "Caravanning" (travel in convoy) is not permitted. When multiple vehicles are involved, departure times should be staggered to avoid such travel.
- Drivers may not use cell phones when driving.
- The College reserves the right to cancel trips when driving conditions are deemed unsafe. Every effort will be made to work with the organization leadership as these decisions are being made.
- The College will only allow 15-passenger vans to be filled to capacity for travel within 50 miles of Middlebury. Vans traveling further than 50 miles from campus will have a reduced capacity of 11 passengers with strict guidelines for loading; the staff in Vehicle Rentals will work closely with drivers in these situations.
Student Organizations can rent vans and cars through Facilities services. Rentals are $15 per day, plus 40 cents per mile. You must have a valid College license to drive a van. go/vans for more information on rentals, go/trainings for more information on licensing.
Make a reservation