The College Archives is committed to making College records available for research without restriction. However, there may be legal or institutional requirements to restrict access to some materials.
The College Archives enforces the following access restrictions:
- Trustees records: 50 years from the date of creation
- Presidential records: 35 years from the end of tenure
- Faculty Meeting minutes: 35 years from the date of creation (Archive of past Faculty Meeting minutes available to the Middlebury community online.)
- Email correspondence: 50 years from date of deposit
- Student educational records (credentials, grade sheets, correspondence, reports, notes, applications, and all other records pertaining to past and present students) governed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974: 75 years from date of creation
- Personnel files (search, review, promotion, reappointment, tenure, and disciplinary/grievance records): 75 years from the date of separation
Alternate restriction schedules can be created as needed. Contact the College Archivist with questions or concerns.