The U.S. Department of State travel advisory system provides tiered levels of advice ranging from Levels 1-4. Travel advisories at Levels 2-4 indicate risk indicators related to crime, terrorism, civil unrest, health, and natural disasters.
|Level 1||Exercise normal precautions.|
|Level 2||Exercise increased caution.|
|Level 3||Reconsider travel.|
|Level 4||Do not travel.|
Travel to a Level 1 advisory country requires no additional review.
Travel to a Level 2 advisory country where Middlebury has a school or presence does not require additional review. If Middlebury does not have a presence in a Level II country, a second level review by a subcommittee of the Global Operations Committee will be completed.
Travel to a Level 3 or Level 4 advisory country requires a second level review (including input from Global Rescue) by the Global Operations Committee’s executive sponsors and delegates. If a traveler is approved to go to a Level III or Level IV country, the individual will be required to complete an additional waiver form.
Traveling with or Sponsoring Students
If you are a department sponsoring students abroad or a faculty member taking student research assistants abroad, please review the following documents:
- International Activity Approval Form
- Policies and Protocols for International Programs/Activities
- Pre-Departure Checklist for Students Traveling Abroad
- Pre-Departure Checklist for Faculty and Staff Traveling Abroad
- Travel Advisory Level 3 or 4 Country Waiver Form Students approved to travel to a country with a U.S. State Department Travel Advisory Level 3 or 4 are required to submit this form to the sponsoring department/faculty member.
- Travel Expense Policy
Sunderland Language Center
Middlebury, VT 05753