Financial aid and special funding help make your Bread Loaf education affordable.
As a Bread Loaf student, you may be eligible for need-based grants, as well as on-campus student jobs that are available at our Vermont campus. In addition, Bread Loaf offers a limited number of fellowships and scholarships that are made possible through special funding. Please refer to Bread Loaf Special Funding for more information on our fellowships and scholarships and to apply. Monthly payment plans and private education loans are also available.
During the summer of 2022, approximately 64 percent of Bread Loaf students received grants, with an average award of $6,319.
You should apply early for financial aid, as funds are limited. The aid application for the upcoming summer session is generally available beginning in mid-October. Applications for special funding are available in January. Financial aid will be awarded in two main rounds in February and April 2023, according to the schedule in the Awarding for Summer 2023 section below, and then continue on a rolling basis until funds are depleted.
To be considered for need-based grants from Middlebury you must:
- Be admitted to Bread Loaf or, for returning students, officially re-enrolled
- Complete a Middlebury Bread Loaf Financial Aid Application
- Middlebury College current undergraduate students should complete the Undergraduate Summer Financial Aid Request Form.
- U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents and Canadian citizens should complete the Middlebury Bread Loaf School of English Aid Application.
- International students should complete the Middlebury International Student Financial Aid Application.
There are specific deadlines for some Bread Loaf special funding opportunities. Refer to the individual scholarship application instructions for details. The Bread Loaf Financial Aid Application becomes available in October. Deadlines for need-based grants awarded during the two main rounds are outlined below. After March 31, need-based grants are awarded on a rolling basis. Grant funds are limited and do run out so students are encouraged to apply early.
Awarding for Summer 2023
Need-based financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, based on the later of one of these two dates, as follows:
- The date your completed application was received and processed by the Office of Student Financial Services
- The date you completed your Bread Loaf application for admission or re-enrollment form.
Students will receive their financial aid notification in two main blocks, depending on the completion of their Bread Loaf enrollment.
- To receive an aid decision by February 17, 2023: new students will need to complete their Bread Loaf applications by January 25, 2023; returning students will need to submit their re-enrollment forms by February 8, 2023.
- To receive an aid decision by April 21, 2023: new students will need to complete their Bread Loaf applications by March 15, 2023; returning students will need to submit their re-enrollment forms by March 29, 2023.
- Anyone who is enrolled after March 31, 2023 will receive a decision on a rolling basis.
Bread Loaf will review and award special fellowships and scholarships across two periods following the February 17 and April 21 aid awarding dates. For best access to financial aid and special funding, apply and enroll early.