Financial aid and special funding help make your Bread Loaf education affordable.
As a Bread Loaf student, you may be eligible for financial aid. Bread Loaf aid is available in the form of need-based grants and loans, as well as on-campus student jobs that are available at our Vermont campus. In addition, Bread Loaf offers a limited number of fellowships and scholarships that are made possible through special funding. Please refer to Bread Loaf Special Funding for more information on our fellowships and scholarships and to apply.
During the summer of 2021, approximately 63 percent of Bread Loaf students received grants, with an average award of $4,886.
You should apply early for financial aid, as funds are limited. The aid application for the upcoming summer session is generally available beginning in mid-October. Applications for special funding are available in January. Financial aid awarding will start in April 2022 and continue on a rolling basis throughout the spring until funds are depleted.
To be considered for need-based grants from Middlebury you must:
- Be admitted to Bread Loaf or, for returning students, officially re-enrolled
- Complete a Middlebury Bread Loaf Financial Aid Application
- Middlebury College current undergraduate students should complete the Undergraduate Summer Financial Aid Request Form.
- U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents and Canadian citizens should complete the Middlebury Bread Loaf School of English Aid Application.
- International students should complete the Middlebury International Student Financial Aid Application.
To apply for federal student loans you must:
- Be admitted or enrolled at least half-time in a degree program at one of the three campuses.
- Complete a Middlebury Bread Loaf School of English Financial Aid Application (above).
- Complete the 2022-2023 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), for U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens who meet certain requirements for federal student aid.
There are specific deadlines for some Bread Loaf special funding opportunities. Refer to the individual scholarship application instructions for details. The Bread Loaf Financial Aid Application becomes available in mid-October. There is no deadline but funds are limited and do run out so students are encouraged to apply early.
Awarding for Summer 2022
We award aid on a first-come, first-served basis, based on the later of one of these two dates, as follows:
- The date your application was entered by the Office of Student Financial Services
- The date you were accepted into the program.
Please be aware that we receive a high volume of applications, so it may be several weeks after you submit the application before it is entered into our system.