Financial aid and special funding help make your Bread Loaf education affordable.
As a Bread Loaf student, you may be eligible for financial aid. Bread Loaf aid is available in the form of need-based grants and loans, as well as on-campus student jobs that are available at our Vermont campus. In addition, Bread Loaf offers a limited number of fellowships and scholarships that are made possible through special funding. Please refer to Bread Loaf Special Funding for more information on our fellowships and scholarships and to apply.
During the summer of 2021, approximately 63 percent of Bread Loaf students received grants, with an average award of $4,886.
You should apply early for financial aid, as funds are limited. The aid application for the upcoming summer session is generally available beginning in mid-October. Applications for special funding are available in January. Financial aid awarding will start in February 2022, according to the schedule in the Awarding for Summer 2022 section below, and continue on a rolling basis throughout the spring until funds are depleted.
To be considered for need-based grants from Middlebury you must:
- Be admitted to Bread Loaf or, for returning students, officially re-enrolled
- Complete a Middlebury Bread Loaf Financial Aid Application
- Middlebury College current undergraduate students should complete the Undergraduate Summer Financial Aid Request Form.
- U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents and Canadian citizens should complete the Middlebury Bread Loaf School of English Aid Application.
- International students should complete the Middlebury International Student Financial Aid Application.
To apply for federal student loans you must:
- Be admitted or enrolled at least half-time in a degree program at one of the three campuses.
- Complete a Middlebury Bread Loaf School of English Financial Aid Application (above).
- Complete the 2022-2023 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), for U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens who meet certain requirements for federal student aid.
There are specific deadlines for some Bread Loaf special funding opportunities. Refer to the individual scholarship application instructions for details. The Bread Loaf Financial Aid Application becomes available in mid-October. There is no deadline but funds are limited and do run out so students are encouraged to apply early.
Awarding for Summer 2022
Need-based financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, based on the later of one of these two dates, as follows:
- The date your completed application was received and processed by the Office of Student Financial Services
- The date you completed your Bread Loaf application for admission or re-enrollment form.
Students will receive their financial aid notification in two main blocks, depending on the completion of their Bread Loaf enrollment.
- To receive an aid decision by February 18, 2022: new students will need to complete their Bread Loaf applications by January 25, 2022; returning students will need to submit their re-enrollment forms by February 7, 2022.
- To receive an aid decision by April 22, 2022: new students will need to complete their Bread Loaf applications by March 15, 2022; returning students will need to submit their re-enrollment forms by March 28, 2022.
- Anyone who is enrolled after March 31, 2022 will receive a decision on a rolling basis.
Bread Loaf will review and award special fellowships and scholarships across two periods following the February 18 and April 22 aid awarding dates. For best access to financial aid and special funding, apply and enroll early.