Undergraduate Research and the Dean for Faculty Development and Research oversee several sources of support for summer research assistants.
These funds are intended to promote faculty development and support student research opportunities. We allocate funding based on the following guidelines:
- How well the project and or position meets the criteria established for the fund
- Whether the faculty member already has adequate external funding
- The merits of the proposed project
- Faculty in regular appointments have priority, with untenured faculty considered first
- Normally any one faculty will be funded up to 2 positions, additional positions may be considered depending on total applications.
Deadline: The application deadline for Summer 2022 funding is March 1, 2022.
- Applications for funding must be submitted by the faculty member with whom the student would be working.
- Positions need to follow the Summer Research Assistant Policies.
- If you are funded, hired SRAs must be continuing Middlebury undergraduates. This funding does not support students graduating prior to the summer, non-Middlebury students or alumni.
- If you do not yet have a student identified, you may still apply.
Faculty members must submit the online application for each project.
To complete the application, you will need:
- A brief project description including details about the student’s role in the project
- Requested funding amount and budget description
- Estimated dates of research and weekly hours
This funding is primarily for student stipends, with a limited additional amount for project related supplies or travel for STEM projects. The 2022 student research assistant stipend rate is $540 per week for a 40-hour work week (with a $10/wk increase to students returning to the same lab) or prorated at $13.50 per hour.
Faculty with other sources of funding (e.g. external grants, start-up funds, endowed chair funds) are expected to use those funds first to support SRA positions before applying for URO funds. URO funds are typically used to assist faculty without other sources of funding or in some cases, to augment external sources of funding for SRAs.
See a detailed list of available funds for general information purposes. On the online application, you only need to choose the broad funding category and not specific funds.
Application review will be completed by late March. In a typical year, the notices are targeted to be emailed the Friday before the break.
For additional details see Setting Up Summer Research Assistant Positions.
Center for Teaching, Learning, and Research
Davis Family Library, Suite 225
Middlebury, VT 05753