If you are Canadian...

... there are two things worth knowing:

For your U.S. tax return: If you earned more than $10,000 in wages in a given calendar year in the U.S., no matter whether the earnings were from one or several employers, you will be taxed starting at the first penny earned in that calendar by the IRS. The tax treaty only applies when you earned less than $10,000 in total from all employers during the calendar year. Thus, if you, for example, got treaty benefits at the College or at the Institute in the spring and then get a better paying job after graduating, consider filling out your W-4 for the new job in a way to ensure withholding is higher. Otherwise you will end up owing taxes at year-end and the IRS could even fine you for underpaying your taxes during the year.

For your Canadian tax return: You might need Form TL11 a "Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate - University outside Canada". To ensure timely preparation of this form by the Tax Office you must request the form by the end of January each year. For additional information contact: Canada Revenue Agency at www.cra.gc.ca. Canadian students will find additional help at www.cra.gc.ca/students. Suggested pamphlets are P105 Students and Income Tax; P151 Canadian Residents Going Down South; and T4131 Canadian Residents Abroad.