Will I get taxed?

Generally if you are a Nonresident Alien for Tax Purposes, you should assume you will be taxed on payments made to you or on your behalf by the college or institute. For those within the State of Vermont assume the initial tax rate is 38%. For California and most other locations, assume the initial tax rate is 30%. These rates will change for most visitors, based on your country's tax treaty, your visa status and the type of income you receive. Another important element is your signature on tax documents within the FNIS system. Treaty benefits do not apply if you fail to complete and sign the needed informational documents.