New Gratitude Board from Human Resources (HR): Take a moment to recognize a colleague, team member, or direct report! It’s a great way to celebrate the contributions — both big and small — that make Middlebury the great place that it is! Every quarter, HR will randomly choose one appreciated person for an on-campus meal gift certificate! Recognize a community member publicly or send a private message of thanks to the colleague you’d like to recognize.
Compensation Program Update: Watch for an email next week from HR with an update on spring’s compensation plan timeline, including launch of the new job description website, skill matrix conversations and updates about the process for market and discretion increases.
New Interim Representative: Lexie Carlson, Senior Financial Analyst in the College Academic Affairs, will be the interim representative for District A. She will be working with the Staff Council on the Continuous Improvement Initiative (formerly Paper Cuts).
Grille Book Swap Now Has Puzzles: Find a new read or puzzle at the book swap in the Grille. Thank you to Tammy Grant (Event Management) for adding puzzles to the swap!
Current Middlebury Staff Council (MSC) Projects
- Communications Committee
- New staff photo challenge—March is about TEAMWORK! Submit photos of your colleagues at work, a day-in-the-life selfie, or your favorite place on campus each month. Please submit your image using this online form by Friday, March 31. A random submission will receive a $25 gift card to a campus café each month.
- Staff Council Working Relationships Policy Statement - We submitted a draft of the Staff Council Working Relationships Policy Statement to the Executive Committee.
- Compensation Committee – Met jointly with the HR6 committee in which HR agreed to evaluate a weekend shift differential and will model options for impact.
- Events Committee
- Daffodil Day deliveries will happen the week of March 20th. Thank you to everyone who contributed!
- Wellness Fair - We are working on the Wellness Fair with GMHEC. The date will be Tuesday, April 17 at Peterson Field House. Lots of vendors, hands on activities and prizes.
- Faculty and Staff Mixer – to be organized in April. Stay tuned!
- Resources Committee – Will begin meeting monthly in March where David Provost will provide an overview of college finances. Additionally, the committee will meet jointly with the faculty resources committee when the topic applies to all employees.
- Continuous Improvement (formerly Paper Cuts) – Will meet with Leroy Graham, who is replacing Mike Thomas as the initiative lead, to discuss incorporating staff input into the project. As we plan how this will happen, if you have an issue you would like to add to the list or a suggestion, please contact your district representative or submit our suggestion form.
- 3/16 - Fair Process Workshop with Melissa Sorenson via Zoom on Thursday, March 16 at 2 pm ET/11 am PT. Registration Required.
- 3/16 (VT) - Peterson Family Athletics Complex Open House – Curious about employee access to the athletic facilities? Check out the open house from 1-4 pm.
- 3/14 (CA) - Pizza Party for MIIS staff, faculty, and students on the Holland Center patio from 12:15 to 1:15pm PT. Registration required
- 2/28 - Leadership Alliance Update – see the 2/28 Tear Sheet
- 3/1 - Staff Council Working Meeting (closed)
- 3/14 – Staff Council and Senior Leadership Group (closed)
- 3/15 – Open Staff Council Meeting with guest Khuram Hussain, VP of Equity & Inclusion; Assoc. Professor of Education Studies. Register to get the Zoom meeting link.
- 3/29 - Staff Council Working Meeting (closed)
Spotlight: STACIE MARSHALL
Stacie Marshall has been serving on the staff council for 6 years and her term representing District B will be up this June. She is currently on the Executive Committee, serving as the Vice President, and she is also on the Compensation and Events Committees. Stacie’s role outside of the Staff Council is as the Assistant to the VP for Advancement and she has been at the College for 10 years. When asked what drew her to join Staff Council, Stacie wrote, “Exactly our mission - to make Middlebury a great place to work!” Given her time serving as a Staff Council Representative, we know she has helped further that mission in many ways. Thank you, Stacie!
Stacie’s favorite Middlebury resource? She recommends staff members join committees, make connections, and take advantage of all the resources we have available to staff.
Fun fact about Stacie: She currently is a Youth Mentor in Bristol and encourages others to join the fun and gain a new friend (mentorvt.org).
Are you a member of District B? Consider taking Stacie’s spot as a representative of the Staff Council next year. Simply fill out this form to submit your interest. Visit our contact us page for additional openings.
*District B represents: Advancement, Communications, Printing and Mailing Services
Find your district and the Staff Council Representatives list at go.middlebury.edu/staffcouncil.
Please print and post this for employees as needed.