Students who major in American Studies should be able to:
- understand the development of American cultures in various historical contexts;
- situate U.S. national cultures and communities within a global context;
- competently utilize the theories and methods of American studies;
- apply critical reading skills to various media and types of texts;
- culturally and historically contextualize a range of identity categories (e.g., race and ethnicity, gender, disability, sexuality, and class);
- complete a substantial independent research project.