Placement Exam Information
The Chemistry & Biochemistry Placement Exam is an online written test. You may use a calculator. It takes approximately 60-90 minutes to complete.
- This placement exam is appropriate for students with a strong background in chemistry, usually consisting of more than one year of high school chemistry, or an "honors" chemistry course.
- Students who took an AP course but did not take the AP exam, or students who earned a grade of 3 on the AP exam should also take the placement exam.
- Students with an AP score of 4 or 5 do not need to take the placement exam. They automatically receive credit for CHEM 0103 and should enroll in CHEM 0107 in the fall (preferred) or CHEM 0104 in the spring (less desirable).
- Students awarded IB or British A-levels credit do not need to take the placement exam. They place out of the introductory sequence and should enroll in CHEM 0241.
- Students with an average non-AP or non-honors one-year course in high school chemistry do not need to take a placement exam; they should enroll in CHEM 0103.
You will need:
- An internet connection with access to the Web
- Your Middlebury College ID
- A recent version of a web browser such as Internet Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla or Safari
Before you can take on-line placement exams you must activate your Middlebury user account. If you have not already done so, please go to www.go.middlebury.edu/activate. Once you have activated your Middlebury user account:
- Open a web browser and go to: http://moodle.middlebury.edu/
- Click on the link to the placement exam you are required to take (see right sidebar)
- When prompted, log in with your Midd username (1st part of your email address) and password.
Once you have completed the exam, please contact Judy Mayer, Academic Department Coordinator, at email@example.com or 443-5451 to obtain your score.
Once you receive your score, please contact Rick Bunt, Department Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 443-2559 to discuss the appropriate course you should take based on your score.
For technical questions, please contact our Helpdesk at (802) 443-2200 or email@example.com.