Skip to content
Learning Goals for the Major
Students who successfully complete a major in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry will be able to:
- Explain basic biochemical and molecular biological concepts and principles
- Appreciate the different levels of biological organization, from molecules to organisms
- Understand that Molecular Biology has a chemical, physical, informational and mathematical basis
- Explain the importance of the scientific method to understanding natural phenomena
- Effectively communicate scientific data and ideas to a liberal arts audience both orally and in writing.
- Critically evaluate experimental data and primary papers, develop a hypothesis, and design experiments to address an interesting and novel problem
- Collaborate with other researchers
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge in a specialized field of biochemistry and molecular biology
- Demonstrate an awareness of ethical issues in the molecular life sciences
- Demonstrate the ability to think in an integrated manner and look at problems from different perspectives.