Format Review: (Check with your adviser for any format preferences. Below are general guidelines.)
- Use the general format appropriate for the discipline of your thesis advisor (e.g., APA format if your advisor is in the Psychology Department).
- Margins: Generally one-inch margins are fine for all copies, including the cloth-bound copy (for clothbound copies, the Bindery trims up to .5”, on all four sides).
- Set the line spacing to be 1.5 for all sections except the Bibliography, which can be single-spaced.
- Print the copies of your final thesis double-sided (see exceptions below).
- Start all new sections on a new page: Abstract, Intro, Methods and Materials, Results, Discussion, Bibliography, Appendices. These are still double-sided, but each section should start on the right hand page.
- Charts, graphs, and photos should be single-sided (This is not necessary if they are embedded within text.)
- Your personal copy can be single-sided if you prefer
Turning in your thesis: Once your final thesis revisions have been approved by your committee, print final copies of your thesis for the Program and for your committee members.
By NOON on the last day of exams, you need to have completed the following:
- Print copies* of your final thesis, including title page (see example under Forms)
- Obtain signatures of your committee members on the title pages of your thesis.
- Turn in at least four (4) copies (five if your adviser is in Psychology) of your final thesis, secured with binder clips, to Joanna Shipley (MBH 375)
EMAIL the following information via email to Joanna (email@example.com):
- An electronic copy of your final thesis (in a single pdf document) to both your thesis chair and Joanna.
- If your thesis title is over 60 characters including spaces, send an abbreviated title that is no more than 60 characters long (including punctuation and spaces). This is for the spine of the clothbound copy only.
- Your home mailing address to send your personal bound copy (allow 6-8 weeks).
*How many copies do you need to print? At least four (five if your adviser is in Psychology), maybe more:
- One for the Neuroscience Program (to be clothbound for the display cabinet)
- One for the Library Archives (not to be confused with the digital archives)
- One personal copy for you -- clothbound at no charge.
- One for your Thesis Adviser (you may give it to her/him directly, or to Joanna). Find out first, if your adviser would like a paper copy in addition to the PDF version.
- One for the Psychology Department if your Thesis Advisor is in the Psych Department..
Plus any additional copies:
- Do your committee members want paper copies, or a PDF version?
- Do you want any additional personal copies clothbound? If so, the cost is $15 each (to cover our cost).
Theses to be clothbound are sent to a bindery in Boston. It takes 1-2 months to get them back, at which time we’ll mail the bound thesis to you!
last updated 4/24/15