General Policies

Middlebury College complies with applicable provisions of state and federal laws which prohibit discrimination in employment, or in admission or access to its educational or extracurricular programs, activities or facilities, on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, place of birth, Vietnam veteran status, or against qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability. Questions relating to compliance during the summer session may be addressed to the Vice President of Language Schools, Schools Abroad & Graduate Programs, Sunderland Language Center, Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT 05753.


The Language Schools use the following letter grades: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D, and F. No grade below a B- may be applied toward a Middlebury MA degree; no grade below B+ may be applied to the DML degree. An A+ grade is available only at the graduate level and represents an extraordinary level of achievement.


The Language Schools define credit in terms of units. One unit equals three semester hours of credit. A normal course load for the summer session is four units for students in eight-week programs, and three units for students in six- and seven-week programs. For transfer purposes, the student's home institution determines how many credits, graduate or undergraduate, are granted for a summer's work. Students should consult their home campus advisers before enrolling.

PLEASE NOTE: Additional information about academic policies and standards, degree requirements, and specific course offerings is contained in individual school sections and in the bulletins and handbooks published by each school and issued to enrolled students.

Transfer Credit for Graduate Program

After formal admission to a graduate program, candidates for the MA and DML degrees may request permission from the Registrar of the Language Schools to transfer a maximum of three units or the equivalent from another institution. Students may propose for transfer only courses taken after successful completion of the initial summer and formal admission to a degree program.

Students should obtain approval for the transfer of credit before enrolling in the course in question. To secure this approval, students must submit evidence to the Registrar of the Language Schools that the courses earn graduate credits towards an advanced degree at an accredited college or university; and are taught in the target language in the areas of language analysis, culture and civilization, literature, or professional preparation. Language practice courses may not be transferred, and the courses proposed for transfer should not duplicate courses already taken for degree credit.

All units transferred toward a degree must have been taken on a graded, not a pass/fail basis. Only grades of B- and above may be applied toward a Middlebury MA degree. Only grades of B+ and above may be applied toward the DML degree.

All courses approved for transfer must be completed by the 31st of May of the year of graduation for August degree candidates and by the 10th of January for March degree candidates. All credits and units applied toward a degree, whether awarded by Middlebury College or transferred from another institution, must be earned within a period of ten years. For example, units earned in 2003 would not be applicable toward a degree awarded in 2013.


Middlebury College is accredited by the Vermont State Department of Education, and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, which accredits schools and colleges in the six New England states. Membership in one of the six regional accrediting associations in the United States indicates that the school or college has been carefully evaluated and found to meet standards agreed upon by qualified educators.

Special Considerations for Middlebury Undergraduate Students

Course Numbers and Titles

The titles and numbers of courses offered at the Language Schools during the summer do not necessarily match the titles and numbers of courses in the corresponding language departments during the academic year. Our expectation is that the level in which you are placed by examination at or before the beginning of the summer session will reflect the work you have done previously in the language: that is, that you will place at a level superior to that which you have already successfully completed. If you place at a lower level than expected (i.e., a level for which you have already received Middlebury College academic year credit), you may still enroll in the Language Schools, but you might not receive academic credit for the classes you take at the Language Schools. Please see your academic year Department Chair for credit distribution.

Study Abroad

If you are also applying to a Middlebury C.V. Starr School Abroad program, you must submit a separate online application found on the following link:

Language School Course Credit and the Undergraduate Degree

As with other Middlebury College coursework, the following circumstances will result in course work, grades, and GPA being posted to the Undergraduate Transcript:

  • A student taking summer Language Schools undergraduate-level courses.
  • A student taking summer Language Schools or Bread Loaf School of English courses at the graduate-level who wishes to apply them to their undergraduate BA degree.

Graduate work that a student does not want or need applied to the undergraduate BA degree will be recorded to the non-degree level page of the transcript. In such a case, the GPA would be calculated at the non-degree level and this becomes part of the overall Middlebury record.

NOTE: Middlebury undergraduates may count graduate work at the summer Language Schools and the Bread Loaf School of English toward their Middlebury BA degree, but are not able to reuse the coursework toward a subsequent Middlebury College graduate degree. If you are planning to use your summer graduate coursework toward your undergraduate degree, you must let the Registrar's Office know by the end of the summer session. The Registrar's Office does not solicit students regarding their intentions. No changes will be made once the course(s) has been recorded as undergraduate credit.

Post BA: Courses taken and grades earned at a Language School at the undergraduate level after the Middlebury BA has been awarded will not be included in the BA GPA.