International Students-Next steps

Non-U.S. citizens who are not U.S. legal permanent residents enrolling in the Middlebury College Language Schools in Vermont or at the Mills College campus in Oakland, California must have a nonimmigrant visa status which allows them to enroll in courses full-time.  Tourist status does not allow full-time study.

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) at Middlebury assists students with obtaining nonimmigrant visa status to attend the Language Schools.  Most international students attending the Language Schools do so in F-1 (student) status.

To be eligible for F-1 status, you first must obtain an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility Form from Middlebury.  Please complete an I-20 application form, which can be found on the ISSS website.

Upon receipt of the completed I-20 application form and supporting documents, ISSS at Middlebury will send you an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility Form, which is the document required to apply for an F-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.  Please be aware that it can take several weeks to obtain an F-1 visa, and we are not able to issue I-20 forms until your non-refundable enrollment deposit has been received.  Therefore, we encourage you to submit the enrollment deposit and I-20 application as soon as possible in order to allow ample time for the entire visa application process.  (Note: If the I-20 application is received by ISSS after May 1, there may not be adequate time to obtain the proper visa for entry to the United States.)

If you are currently in the U.S. in a nonimmigrant visa status please contact ISSS as soon as possible to verify whether you will require an I-20 from Middlebury to attend your program.  It is important that all non-U.S. citizens/non-U.S. legal permanent residents who plan to enroll contact ISSS for clarification regarding their visa status.  ISSS can be reached by email at or by telephone at 802.443.5858.

Do not enter the U.S. on a tourist visa (B-1 or B-2) or visa waiver, as these do not allow enrollment in our programs. You must enter the U.S. with a student visa or be in a visa status that allows you to enroll as a student.

If you are inside the United States attending another U.S. institution in a visa category that allows you to study, please contact ISSS with your current visa information (visa, passport, I-94 card, and I-20 or form that allows you enter the U.S.) to confirm your eligibility to attend in your current visa status.

IMPORTANT Tax Information: All students who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. legal permanent residents (i.e. green card holders) will receive a request for information from Middlebury's Tax Office via email late May.  You must provide the requested information in a timely manner.  In addition, please note that you might have a tax obligation on any financial aid that exceeds tuition.  If so, you will be obligated to pay the tax liability that will appear on your Middlebury bill.