General Degree Requirements
• Applicants must hold a BA or its equivalent. Please see proficiency requirements below.
• All students must complete an initial summer in the Chinese School on the Middlebury, Vermont campus in order to qualify for degree candidacy.
• The GRE is not required.
• Qualified students who want to take the courses for professional development purposes but do not seek the MA degree are also welcome to apply.
• Successful completion of 12 course units
• Non-native speakers of English:
Non-native speakers of English who received their undergraduate degrees from an accredited four-year US institution are not required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.
Non-native speakers of English who did NOT receive undergraduate degrees from an accredited four-year US institution must submit either TOEFL or IELTS scores.
Minimum IELTS Scores: 7.5 Overall
- 7.5 Listening and Reading
- No sub-score below 7.0
Minimum TOEFL Score Internet-based test: 100 overall
- 25 reading
- 25 listening
- 23 speaking
- 27 writing
• Non-native speakers of Chinese
For non-native speakers of Chinese, a college major in Chinese or a minimum OPI score of Advanced Low is required. Preference will be given to applicants with a higher score.
Applicants can fulfill this requirement in one of two ways—either submit an official OPI score from ACTFL, or take our online computer adaptive exam, with a follow-up speaking test conducted by a Chinese School faculty member.
MA Program Tracks
Once enrolled in the Chinese MA program, you can opt to complete the degree over four summers on the Vermont campus, or by completing an initial summer in Vermont, an academic year at the Monterey Institute of International Studies in Monterey, California, and a final summer in Vermont.