Student Organization Travel
Any group of students traveling away from the campus on a College-sponsored trip is required to follow the guidelines and policies listed below.
- Groups are strongly encouraged to explore public transportation options for all trips requiring submission of a travel proposal to the student activities office
- Groups are strongly encouraged to plan all travel to minimize driving in darkness
- Groups are strongly encouraged to exercise conservative judgment regarding travel in poor weather. If in doubt about driving conditions, pull over or change plans!
- All drivers should review the College’s Driver’s License policy prior to departure.
- Individual drivers must limit their driving time to a maximum of 3 hours per day.
- Groups will not drive more than 9 hours per day, regardless of the number of drivers available for the trip or in the vehicle; after this 9 hour maximum is reached, groups are required to stop for the night.
- Trips longer than 9 hours require submission of a trip proposal to the Student Activities Office a minimum of 30 days prior to the proposed departure date; the Student Activities Office reserves the right to decline approval of these proposals should such a step be deemed necessary for risk management or other reasons. Hotel or camping receipts, or other proof of an overnight stay, may be required.
- Drivers must drive within posted speed limits at all times. Failure to do so may result in the revocation of college van licenses and in additional consequences for the student organization involved.
- Trips shall not depart from any location nor should driving take place between the hours of 1:00AM and 5:00AM.
- “Caravanning” (traveling in convoy) is not permitted. When multiple vehicles are involved, departure times should be staggered to avoid such travel.
- Drivers may not use cell phones when driving.
Download a copy of the complete Student Travel Policy
Student Organizations can rent vans and cars through Facilities services. Rentals are $15 per day, plus 40 cents per mile. You must have a valid College license to drive a van. go/vans for more information on rentals, go/trainings for more information on licensing.
Make a reservation