The I-901 (SEVIS) fee for students applying for an F visa is $350 and the new fee for exchange visitors applying for a J visa is $220. More information about the fee increase can be found on the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Study in the States website.
What is the SEVIS I-901 Fee?
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s SEVIS I-901 fee is required of for each student or exchange visitor issued an initial Form I-20 (F-1 Students) or DS-2019 (J-1 Exchange Visitors). The fee for F-1 students is $350 and the fee for J-1 Exchange Visitors is $220. Proof of fee payment must be presented at your visa interview and/or when you arrive at a U.S. port of entry.
If you are a Canadian citizen, you are required to pay the SEVIS fee and provide proof of payment at the U.S. port of entry even though you do not need to obtain a visa.
For more Information, see: http://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/faq.
Showing Proof of SEVIS I-901 Payment at the Visa Interview and/or the U.S. Port of Entry
You must be able to prove that the fee has been paid when you appear for your visa interview and when you enter the United States. This is done by presenting a receipt that you will print out of your printer after completing the form. Visa officers and U.S. port-of entry inspectors should be able to verify SEVIS I-901 fee payment electronically 3 business days after payment is processed, but in case of problems, having the printed receipt is the best evidence of fee payment.
A visa will not be issued unless verification of the SEVIS I-901 fee payment can be made, and we highly recommend that you pay the SEVIS I-901 fee at least 3 business days prior to your visa interview at the U.S. Consulate.
How to Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee
Before You Begin:
- Make sure you have your recently issued initial Middlebury/MIIS Form I-20 or DS-2019 in front of you. Be sure your personal information is correct on this document before proceeding, paying close attention to your name and birth date. If this information is not correct, do not continue to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. Contact ISSS instead immediately.
- Ensure that your printer is connected and functioning.
- Access the SEVIS Form I-901 online at https://www.fmjfee.com
- Follow the step by step instructions provided on the following pages. Provide all of the requested information. Items with an asterisk (*) are required.
- MasterCard, Visa or American Express debit or credit cards are accepted for SEVIS I-901 fee payment. Follow the online instructions, include the required credit card information, and print out the payment screen to verify your payment. Some Students and Exchange Visitors may not be able to pay via credit card depending on country of citizenship or country of birth. If you do not have access to a credit or debit card, please visit https://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/faq#_Toc81222043 for more payment options.
- A printed receipt needs to be presented at your visa interview or at the U.S. port of entry as proof of payment. If you do not print your receipt at the time of payment, you can locate your receipt online by entering your personal information at https://fmjfee.com/i901fee/index.html.
Payment Tips and Instructions
- Enter all requested information exactly as it appears on your Form I-20 or DS-2019.
- Find your N number (also known as your SEVIS ID number) at the top of your Middlebury College or Middlebury Institute I-20 or DS-2019.
- On the I-20, the School Code appears in the School Information box. On the DS-2019, the Exchange Visitor Program Number appears in Section 2. Input the appropriate code.
Middlebury’s codes are as follows:
- For F-1 Students/I-20s:
- POM214F10034000 for Middlebury College (also used for our Schools)
- SFR214F01212000 for Middlebury Institute (MIIS)
- For J-1 Exchange Visitors (Students, Scholars, Researchers, Professors)/DS-2019s:
- P-1-00068 for Middlebury College (also used for our Schools)
- P-1-03198 for Middlebury Institute
- For Exchange Visitors with a DS-2019: Your Exchange Visitor category appears in Section 4 of your Form DS-2019. Select your Exchange Visitor Category from the drop-down menu.
- PRINT your receipt and bring it with you to your visa interview at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy.
For detailed information or alternative methods of paying the SEVIS I-901 fee, visit:
- SEVIS Fee Website: http://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/index.htm
- Study in the States: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/paying-your-i-901-sevis-fee
- SEVIS Fee Frequently Asked Questions: http://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/faq
- E-mail address for SEVIS Fee inquiries (include name and SEVIS ID number in the email): fmjfee.SEVIS@ice.dhs.gov
- I-901 Customer Service telephone: (US) 1-703-603-3400
You may also contact the Middlebury ISSS at firstname.lastname@example.org.