All non-U.S. citizens and non-U.S. legal permanent residents who have accepted a staff, faculty or research/fellow position at any of Middlebury’s U.S. sites must have an appropriate immigration status or U.S. employment authorization that allows them to be employed by Middlebury. They should contact ISSS when they accept their position if they need visa sponsorship or support.

This includes the Middlebury College, Language Schools, Bread Load School of English, Bread Loaf Writers’ Conferences, and summer programs faculty and staff. It also includes Middlebury Institute faculty, staff, and self-funded researchers, as well as CNS faculty, staff, researchers and fellows.

J-1 Status

Most international faculty and staff come to Middlebury in J-1 Exchange Visitor status. This is usually the case for those who have not recently been in the U.S. or for those currently in J-1 Professor status at another institution. If you are transferring your SEVIS record from another institution, please complete the SEVIS Transfer In Form. Once ISSS receives the completed form and supporting documents, a DS-2019 will be sent to you, along with instructions on how to apply for a J-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. However, we cannot issue a DS-2019 until you have returned your signed contract to the College. It can take several weeks to complete the visa application process, therefore the appropriate form should be submitted as soon as possible.

F-1 or J-1 Status at Other Institutions

Individuals currently in F-1 or J-1 status at other institutions are eligible to apply for employment authorization through the institution which produced their I-20 or DS-2019. Students in F-1 status may apply for Curricular or Optional Practical Training. Those in J-1 status may apply for Academic Training. If you are currently in F-1 or J-1 student status, and wish work at Middlebury, we encourage you to discuss your plans with the international student advisor at your institution. Your international student advisor is the Designated School Official (DSO) or Responsible Officer (RO) who will assist you with authorization for employment.

H-1B Status at Other Institution

If you are currently in H-1B status at another institution, or if you are being hired for a multi-year contract and are ineligible for J-1 Professor status, H-1B status may be the most appropriate status. If Middlebury determines that H-1B status is appropriate, ISSS will submit the H-1B petition to USCIS on your behalf.

updated 1/19/2022

Find the latest travel updates and other information.

News and Events

Meet the team and let us know how we can help.

Contact Us