Most international faculty and staff come to Middlebury College in J-1 Exchange Visitor status, and in special cases H1-B Temporary Worker status.

While there are many visa categories to consider, there are few that allow a person to work in the U.S. In addition to the information below, the Tax Office has a comprehensive list of typical visas/scenarios for international individuals working in higher education.  If you have questions about working for Middlebury under a work visa status not mentioned on our website, please reach out to us at

The USCIS site also contains information about the various visa types for non-immigrant Temporary Workers.

Trade NAFTA (TN) for Citizens of Canada or Mexico

The non-immigrant NAFTA Professional (TN) visa status allows citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA professionals to work in the United States. Permanent residents of the U.S., including Canadian permanent residents, are not able to apply to work as a NAFTA professional.  For complete information about TN status, visit the U.S. Department of State site.

B-1/B-2 Tourist for Business/Tourist for Pleasure

The “visitor” visa is a non-immigrant visa for persons desiring to enter the United States temporarily for business (B-1),for pleasure or medical treatment (B-2), or combination of both (B-1/B-2) purposes. Individuals coming to Middlebury for any prolonged academic activity should not enter the U.S. in B1 or B2 status. Consult with ISSS about the appropriate category.

Business Visitor Visas (B-1) - For example, if the purpose for your planned travel is to consult with business associates, travel for a scientific, educational, professional or business convention, or conference on specific dates, settle an estate, or negotiate a contract, then a business visitor visa (B-1) would be the appropriate type of visa for your travel.

Visitor Visas (B-2) - As examples, if the purpose of your planned travel is recreational in nature, including tourism, amusement, visits with friends or relatives, rest, medical treatment, and activities of a fraternal, social, or service nature, then a visitor visa (B-2) would be the appropriate type of visa for your travel.

updated 1/19/2022

Find the latest travel updates and other information.

News and Events

Meet the team and let us know how we can help.

Contact Us