COVID-19: Essential Information


Non-U.S. Citizens who receive any type of payments (salary, stipend, scholarship, etc.) from Middlebury College may be required file a federal, and in most cases, a state tax return.  The Middlebury Tax Office can assist with tax questions for employees and strives to support students as they navigate the tax filing process.  Please contact or visit the Tax Office website for more information.

Can you explain more about taxes and tax liability?

All international students in a non-resident alien tax status are required to file tax forms with the U.S. federal government by mid-April each year, regardless of whether they earned source income during the prior tax year (January 1-December 31). To file taxes means to submit documents, via mail or electronically, to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), to report income, calculate tax liability, remit payments and/or request refunds. The IRS, a bureau of the U.S. Department of Treasury and federal tax collection agency, helps individuals understand their tax responsibilities while also enforcing the law (i.e. pay your taxes or face penalties).

You can expect to pay taxes on income earned in the U.S., including wages from employment and a portion of your grants/scholarships from Middlebury College if you receive financial aid above the direct educational costs (tuition). The amount of tax you owe will depend on the amount of funds you earn/receive and the tax treaty (if any) between your home country and the U.S. Taxes may represent an additional expense of $500, on average, per year. It is your responsibility to file your income tax forms annually and pay your taxes (if applicable) on time.

ISSS works closely with the Tax Office to communicate relevant tax information to our international students. The Tax Office and the ISSS team together offer tax filing support before taxes are due each year. We contract with Sprintax, a tax preparation company, to provide a software program and resources to assist international students and scholars with filing their tax returns. For questions about taxes, contact the Tax Manager at


Additional Resource:  ISSS created the document Tax Information for International Students and Scholars, which provides an overview of the technical information involved in the U.S. tax process.
**Note: This document was last updated in 2018 and some of the information contained in the document may no longer be accurate, yet it provides a general overview of the tax filing processes.**

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)

Service Building - Second Floor
14 Old Chapel Road
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753
Phone: 802 443-5858