Facilities Services maintains a small fleet of vehicles available for the convenience of faculty, staff, and student organizations for Middlebury business trips and sponsored activities only.
Vehicle reservations are first come, first served. Availability is limited, so please make your reservation well in advance of your planned departure date.
In case of accidents and mechanical emergencies, follow these instructions.
- 8 Eleven-Passenger Vans
- 1 Handicap-Accessible Van
- 5 Mini-Vans
- 2 Ford Focus Hybrid Cars
The cost is $15.00 per day, plus 40 cents per mile.
When a College vehicle is not available, we will represent you in renting vehicles from Enterprise or Majestic. These “outside” rentals are charged at current vendor rates. Drivers must be 19 years old for Majestic rentals, and 21 years old for Enterprise rentals.
To rent a Middlebury College vehicle you must:
- Be over 19 years of age.
- Hold a valid driver’s license from your state of residence.
- Complete your rental request seven days in advance of departure date.
- Obtain a Middlebury College driver’s license. Driver safety training is a prerequisite for obtaining a College license. Visit Environmental Health and Safety for more information.
For Students and Student Organizations
- The student organization Treasurer should submit an online vehicle rental request on behalf of the group.
- The driver for the group must fill out a Trip Departure Form prior to leaving. Trip Departure Forms can be found at go/tripform or be obtained at the Vehicle Rental Office in the Service Building.
- Individual students working independently from any student organizations should make rental arrangements through Residential Life.
For Faculty and Staff
You must make arrangements through your department budget administrator.
Picking up Your Rental Vehicle
- Pick up keys at the Vehicle Rental Office on the 1st floor of the Service Building (enter via doorway to the right of the Biomass Plant).
- You must show your state license, training certificate(s) and completed driver’s license application at time of pick-up.
- Students must have a completed Trip Departure Form.
- Travelers who are not fully vaccinated must wear a mask in the vehicle.
- Vehicles are parked beside Porter Field Road in the Center for the Arts parking lot. A bike rack is provided there for your convenience.
- Please check the vehicle for damage BEFORE leaving. Your department/organization will be billed for repairs if vehicle returns with damage that was not reported to us prior to your departure.
- We ask customers to refuel before drop-off, but advise that you check the fuel gauge before leaving. Each key ring is equipped with a p-card.
Returning Your Rental Vehicle
- Vehicles and keys must be returned by the designated return time. Someone else may be waiting for your vehicle!
- Please refuel before drop-off as a courtesy to your fellow renters! Each key ring is equipped with a p-card. Keep all receipts and turn in with the keys and credit card.
- Drop off vehicles in the designated area in Center for the Arts parking lot along Porter Field Road.
- Drop off keys and rental tickets at the Vehicle Rental Office on the 1st floor of the Service Building (enter via doorway right of the Biomass Plant).
- Please report any vehicle damage or cleaning needs immediately to Vehicle Rentals at 443-5462.
Facilities Services takes pride in maintaining its vehicle fleet. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!
On weekends and between the hours of 4:00 p.m. and 7:30 a.m. Monday – Friday, all pick-ups and returns are handled by the Biomass staff. Instructions are posted at the Biomass entry door. Please note: Vehicle reservations are only processed during regular office hours.
Vehicle Rental Policy
All vehicle rentals, both internal and local external (including Burlington and Rutland), must be arranged through the Facilities Services Office (Service Building, ext. 5462) seven days in advance of departure date.
Vehicle rental requests, for student or department use, must be approved by the appropriate budget administrator. No rentals are authorized for personal use. All authorized drivers (faculty, staff or students) are required to obtain a Middlebury College driver’s license from the Office of Environmental Health and Safety, and, additionally, are required to pass a driver’s test and complete a safe driving workshop for 11 and 12-passenger van use. Proof of a valid driver’s license is required.
Outside rental use, in most cases, requires that the driver be at least 19 years of age. The outside rental agency will require proof of a valid driver’s license for each driver authorized and approved to operate the vehicle. A Middlebury College driver’s license is also required for outside authorized rentals.
The Facilities Services Office will require the rental departure and return dates (including time), destination, department index number, name of driver or drivers, rental authorization, and proof of a valid Middlebury College driver’s license and valid state license.
Unauthorized use of any rental vehicle will result in suspension of all driving privileges of College-owned vehicles and College-authorized outside rentals.
The use of cell phones by drivers of College-owned vehicles and College-authorized outside rentals is prohibited.