CTLR sponsors and cosponsors faculty-focused development opportunities throughout the year.
Upcoming Faculty Development Events and Deadlines
- Faculty Professional Development Calendar
- Event dates and details for campus-wide development opportunities.
- Faculty Development Deadlines
- Internal campus-wide deadlines for funding, nominations, mentoring programs, RFPs, tutor or research assistant requests, and other development opportunities.
Annual Development Workshops
- Teaching and Writing Retreat
- A two-day, off-campus writing and teaching retreat to explore topics in pedagogy, prepare for courses, and explore issues in higher education.
- Contemporary Teaching in the Liberal Arts Series
- A selection of roundtable discussions and workshops throughout J-term that explore intentional teaching and learning practices. Past topics have included creating inclusive pedagogy, universal design, and contemplative practices.
- Learning Institute
- Two-days of workshops centered around a theme related to teaching and learning. Past topics have included inspiring students and the science of learning.
- Academic Roundtable
(Fall and Spring Semesters)
- A lunchtime discussion series on teaching, learning, and research is held several times a semester. Suggest a topic by emailing email@example.com.
- Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (OIDEI)
- Offers programming such as the Inclusive Practitioners Program, Anti-Oppression Reading Group and individual or group consultations.
- Clifford Symposium
- The Clifford Symposium is one of Middlebury’s significant experiences as an intellectual community each year. In January groups of faculty submit proposals for the next September event.
- Collegial Classroom Visits
- To foster a culture of professional sharing, interested faculty can sign up to visit another professor’s class and to be visited by that faculty partner in return for observation and feedback. Complete and submit the classroom visit interest form.
- Communities of Practice and Working Groups
- Intentional pedagogical groups to deepen understanding or share practices. See currently active working groups.
- Reading Groups
- The funding page contains reading group information.
- National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity (NCFDD)
- Provides resources and mentoring for faculty in their academic career development. Middlebury is an institutional member of of NCFDD. Activate your faculty account.
- Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR)
- Interdisciplinary and field-specific development opportunities and publications for mentored undergraduate research and scholarship. Middlebury is an enhanced institutional member so all faculty, staff or students can join. Activate your membership.
View a listing of all CTLR faculty and staff contact information.
Center for Teaching, Learning, and Research
Davis Family Library, Suite 225
Middlebury, VT 05753