If you are having a student summer research assistant (SRA) or requesting a volunteer (any research assistant not paid through Middlebury College) this summer, the position must be approved by Undergraduate Research.

COVID-19 Updates

Summer research assistants have been approved to live and/or work on campus for 2021 in positions where it is essential to be on campus to do this work. For positions that can be remote, we expect that they will be done remotely. Summer employment will begin on 6/1.

The most recent guidance  Summer 2021 Planning and Requirements (4/19) is available here: https://www.middlebury.edu/office/spring2021/announcements . Please review this carefully. We will continue to post any new updates here.

Remote Work Dates: Remote work can start 6/1 and continue until the summer employment end date of 9/12. Student positions can be a combination of remote and on campus. 

Off-Campus Housing: SRAs living off campus will be able to work on campus if following COVID guidelines similar to other employees. SRAs living off campus have flexibility in start/end dates within the summer employment period 6/1 through 9/12.

On-Campus Housing: SRAs currently in spring on-campus housing who are requesting on-campus summer housing should either stay on campus for a 6/1 start date OR leave campus and return for a 6/24 start date.

Students who are not currently on campus and requesting on-campus summer housing will need to arrive on 6/24 with Language Schools students (details pending). We may be able to accommodate a small number of these students with a 6/7 start date and housing access if there are compelling, project-based reasons. Requests for a 6/7 arrival and access to campus housing should be sent to Dean Lisa Gates, lgates@middlebury.edu, by Wed. 4/28. Please outline the compelling reasons for this request.

Note: Students not living on campus this spring and returning for summer research may start on 6/1 if they reside off-campus or can begin remotely until a 6/24 arrival for on-campus housing. Please note this as a potential issue on your SRA form so that we can follow up.

Summer housing will end on 8/7. SRAs are not exempt this summer and will need approval and a fall housing assignment to stay past 8/7.

Fieldwork Update: SRAs in on-campus housing will be able to conduct field research as part of their positions if faculty confirm appropriate COVID precautions and guidelines for the fieldwork involved. 

Dining Update: Dining options will be available starting June 1 for summer 2021. We expect students living in campus housing will need to have a dining plan. We expect students living off campus will not have access to campus dining.

Vaccinations Update: Summer research assistants working on campus and/or living in campus housing are required to be fully vaccinated unless they have a documented medical or religious exemption. Please see 4/19 Summer 2021 Planning and Requirements announcement for more information about this and assistance with registering for appointments.

Submit the SRA Form by 4/19 for Housing On Campus (or 4/23 at the latest): Faculty need to complete the SRA form once they have identified funding and a student. This will get you on our list and we can work with you and other offices on campus to follow up on or resolve any issues. If the student will be on campus, the form will need to be completed by April 23. For remote workers the form is due two weeks prior to the start date to allow enough time to set up the position.

The below information is still for reference only. Projects involving travel need to follow all federal, state, local and Middlebury COVID guidelines and may need additional permissions.

For approval, you must submit a Summer Research Assistant form.

Important Notes

Student Status 

SRA students do not have enrolled status during the summer, therefore, they do not have the same housing, dining, or access privileges as during the academic year and need approval to live on campus. No student should be in a nonpublic facility, such as a research lab, who is not registered in some capacity.

Stipend, Housing, and Dining

Most students will receive a stipend payment but may be set up with a timesheet if requested (overtime applies). On-campus housing and dining will be available for students whose SRA form is submitted by the mid-April deadline, with some limits on dates and availability. New for summer 2021, faculty only need to submit the SRA form. When the student is hired through PeopleAdmin, SEO will ask about summer details on the application. Students will be responsible for all housing and dining charges. See below for more information.

Faculty Supervision

Because this is also a pedagogical experience, we expect faculty mentors and student research assistants to be meeting regularly and typically in person.

Work Location

Research may take place on- and off- campus, depending on the project. Please discuss with us any significant off-campus portions of research as we have limited funding outside of student stipends to support expenses.

A student’s location during the time of work does impacts how they can be paid so it is important to communicate ahead of time where the student will be residing, even if they will be fully remote, and include that information on the SRA form.

Steps for Setup

  • Read the Summer Research Assistant Policies, which must be followed to have the position qualify.
  • Begin to identify your funding options by February. One is to apply to URO Summer Research Funding; applications are due the first week of March. If you submit a proposal for URO funding you still need to complete the Summer Research Assistant form in April to confirm the correct information for the actual student placed in the position and the dates.
  • Fill out the online Summer Research Assistant form (go/sra) as completely as possible. It is due in April for students needing on-campus housing. This form is required regardless of the source of funding. It will go to URO for approval and then be forwarded to SEO. Tips for filling out the form:
    • Include a title of the research project, a description is not necessary—if we are not familiar with the project or need additional information, we will contact you.
    • Include a funding source, indicate if it is undetermined, or if the position is a volunteer (not paid through Middlebury College).
    • If you anticipate hiring an assistant but won’t have confirmation of the grant (or the student) at that point in time, please submit the SRA form by the deadline anyway—no contracts will be accepted for housing after the deadline.
    • Students doing collaborative research with Middlebury College faculty who are not compensated through a Middlebury College budget (external grant or college funding) are considered to be Middlebury College volunteers, even if they are receiving stipends directly from a grant or other source not administered by Middlebury and must complete a volunteer form that is signed by their faculty mentor and will be considered for on-campus housing on a case-by-case basis.
    • Fill out the number of hours per week (estimated), the number of weeks, maximum amount to be paid and start/end dates. 
  • SEO will set up a position in PeopleAdmin. The student will complete an application which includes the information previously included in the summer employment contract. Housing and Dining will then reach out to students directly.

Stipend Guidelines

Research positions are considered mentored training, should be 20-40 hours a week and are typically paid by stipends. Because the nature of some research necessitates extended and/or unusual hours, mentored faculty-student collaborative research positions will need to clearly communicate expectations and monitor hours appropriately. If requested, a timesheet may be set up with overtime rules applicable.

The 2021 rate is $510 for a 40-hour week equivalent or $12.75 per hour. 

Summer volunteers without external funding are strongly discouraged. Undergraduate Research needs to be contacted for volunteer approval prior to any agreements with students or other institutions. Especially in a lab environment where other students are receiving stipends.

Campus Housing Guidelines

SRAs are eligible for low-cost on-campus housing and/or dining plans, which will be charged to their student bill. Students are responsible for paying their room and dining costs. Positions that are funded by college funds are not eligible for room and/or dining supplements. External grant funds may not be used to cover room and/or dining unless the grant was specifically budgeted that way and the request reviewed by the Grants Office.

Research assistants will be housed according to the dates on the SRA form. Research assistants will be charged a weekly housing cost (2019 rate was $80) and can choose to sign up for one of two different swipe/declining balance options. Dining will be available beginning June 1 in 2021. In addition:

  • Students must have a 30 hour per week minimum to be eligible for campus housing during weeks of employment. Students with only 20 hours per week in a research position must add another on-campus job of at least 10 hours per week to be eligible for housing.
  • Housing charges are weekly (Sun-Sat) and may extend beyond actual start and end dates. Monday start dates and Friday end dates are recommended (except for the first week of summer employment which generally falls on a Wednesday). Students cannot access their room until one day prior to their start date and one day post their end date to move.
  • Research assistants in spring on-campus housing are expected to remain on campus until the summer 6/1 start date.
  • Research Assistants are not exempt from needing a housing extension approval for dates after the summer housing session this year. Students wanting campus housing after 8/7 need to have an early arrival approval and a fall room assignment.
  • Indicate if there are any extended breaks in employment. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we expect that SRAs in campus housing will need to remain on campus for the full duration of their research work.

Additional resources for positions with travel are the Global Committee’s page traveling with or sponsoring students abroad and Middlebury’s handbook travel policies. Note students are not eligible for travel advances. They can be paid a very modest per diem or the faculty supervisor can request the advance.


If you have any questions or need clarification, please contact us at uro@middlebury.edu.

Center for Teaching, Learning, and Research
Davis Family Library, Suite 225
Middlebury, VT 05753

(802) 443-3131