Middlebury Language Schools


Frequently Asked Questions

Middlebury College aspires to be a model of what a 21st-century liberal arts institution truly should bea welcoming, diverse, and inclusive learning community. We work to build and maintain an environment that offers broad educational opportunities and operates within a framework of mutual respect.

This page is meant to be a useful "Quick Guide" to resources, policies, and procedures at the Language Schools. Please feel free to contact us at 802.443.5510 if your question is not answered below.

General Questions

What is the difference between your undergraduate and graduate programs? I already have a BA degree. Should I be in the graduate program?

The 7- and 8-week programs are designed for students of all backgrounds, regardless of whether or not you hold already hold a Bachelor's degree. They are referred to as undergraduate programs because students can transfer credits to their home institution (after consulting with the registrar). These programs accept students whose proficiency level in the target language ranges from the "pure-beginner" to the equivalent of fourth-year college.

As a prerequisite for the 6-week program, we require receipt of the BA degree or the equivalent, from a regionally accredited institution. Applicants must have completed coursework equivalent to a major in the target language and be able to demonstrate the equivalent level of linguistic proficiency.

I would like to attend, but my home institution doesn’t end before the Language Schools start. May I start the program late? May I leave early?

Please speak with the director of the School to which you are applying. Permission is granted only in very rare cases.

Do you offer programs for children and/or high school students?

The Middlebury-Monterey Language Academy (MMLA) is a four-week language academy for students in grades 812, modeled after the Middlebury Language Schools. MMLA currently offer programs in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, and Spanish. For more information please contact MMLA at 888.216.0135 or visit their website.

I will be graduating from high school this year. May I apply?

While previous college attendance is not required for enrollment in the Middlebury Language Schools, we encourage students who attend immediately following their final year of high school to thoughtfully consider the independence required of a Language Schools student.  While at the Language Schools, you will navigate a new campus, live with a college-aged roommate, eat in a dining hall, and attend classes with students of all ages and levels of experience. Our faculty and staff strive to create an environment that is comfortable, welcoming, and supportive, and we have counseling services and a health center available to all students. Unlike typical undergraduate programs, the Language Schools are not able to provide an orientation to college life, and we do not have residential life staff in the residence halls, although Language Schools faculty and bilingual assistants do reside with students.

Can my spouse live with me while I attend?

No; the Language Schools do not have facilities to accommodate spouses or dependents. Dorms are not set up to accommodate families, and due to the Language Pledge, non-language speakers are not allowed to live in the dorms.

Application Process

I'm a returning student/ a student who applied to the Schools in the past. What materials do I need to submit in order to reactivate my application?

If you would like to reactivate a previous application, you'll need to start a new online application and provide all of the requested information. A personal statement is required but can be brief. If you are a returning student, the application fee is waived.

If you applied within the past two years but did not attend, you are required to pay the application fee. Your recommendations and transcripts are still valid and do not need to be resent (unless this is deemed necessary by the coordinator). However, updated transcripts will be requested if you have completed additional undergraduate- or graduate-level work since you last applied.

If more than two years have passed, you will need to send new recommendations. Contact the coordinator of the School to which you are applying in order to determine if you will need to send new transcripts.

If I am applying to more than one School, do I need to submit separate applications and letters of recommendation?

Yes; you must complete separate applications for all Schools to which you are applying.