COVID-19: Essential Information

Preferred names of staff and faculty will be displayed on designated internal campus communications, documents and electronic sources. Legal names will always appear on all external reports and official documents including, but not limited to, paychecks, Accounts Payable checks, and tax forms. Legal names will only be changed when employees pursue a legal name change with state and/or federal authorities and then submit that documentation to Human Resources.

How to Indicate Your Preferred Name and/or Pronoun

Log into BannerWeb, and click on “Display/Update Your Preferred Name and Pronoun” in the Personal Information tab at the top left of the page.  Follow the instructions on the “Preferred First Name and Pronoun” form.  Please remember to hit “save” to ensure that your changes are saved. Entering a preferred first name via BannerWeb will automatically change which name appears in many internal systems, including the Online Directory and your email Display Name. For some applications, the preferred name will immediately display.  For others, there is a 24-hour waiting period before changes will appear in the system.

Please note: The Online Directory and email Display Names are also available externally (off-campus). If you choose to indicate a preferred first name but wish to communicate via email using your legal name, we recommend that you create a non-Middlebury/MIIS email account (e.g., Gmail, Hotmail).

Select administrative staff (e.g., Human Resources, your supervisor, and Public Safety) will see both legal and preferred names. Report any problems with this process to Human Resources ( or Employees without ready access to a computer may contact Human Resources for assistance.

Changing Your MiddCard or MIIS ID Card

24 hours after submitting the preferred name form in BannerWeb, your preferred name will appear in the ID card system and you can request a new MiddCard or MIIS ID Card. There is a $20 fee for a new MiddCard. Please note that if you request a new ID card your old one will be deactivated. You can still retain the old card for use as a 2nd ID for the sole purpose of college events that require two forms of ID as appropriate.


Middlebury has made every effort to display preferred names where feasible and has made a good faith effort to update the reports, documents and systems that are designated to use a preferred name and pronoun. In the event that your preferred name is not displaying correctly, please contact Human Resources.