Find out more below about the I-20 application for an F-1 visa.

The F-1 visa status allows you to remain in the U.S. as long as you are a properly registered full-time student and maintaining your status. It permits you to work on-campus during your program of study. You might also be eligible for off-campus employment, Curricular Practical Training (CPT), or Optional Practical Training (OPT) during your program and after completing your first academic year. To apply for an F-1 visa, you must obtain a Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility, from the Middlebury Institute of International Studies.

To obtain the I-20 form, please take the following steps:

  • Read the I-20 Application Instructions for information about the documentation needed by ISSS
  • Complete the I-20 Application 
  • Provide a self-sponsor or sponsor letter (please see I-20 instructions for more information)

The I-20 Application and Instructions can be found on the Middlebury ISSS Visa Application Information page.

The Institute is required per U.S. federal regulations to confirm sufficient financial resources for the first academic year of study. These costs include tuition, fees, and the estimated cost of living.  You can read more about the cost of attendance before filling out your I-20 application.

It is important to note that the I-20 application is required for all international students who are requesting an F-1 visa status for study at the Institute.

If you are currently studying in the U.S. on an F-1 or other student visa, please be sure to indicate that on your I-20 application, as special procedures for completing the I-20 transfer process will apply.

If you have any questions about the process of obtaining a Form I-20, please contact us at