COVID-19: Essential Information

J-1 visa status: DS-2019 Application for Exchange Visitors

The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program operates under the auspices of the United States Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. The purpose of the Exchange Visitor Program is to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges. Each Exchange Visitor Program has a program description under which that program must operate and designates an individual or individuals as the staff responsible for the administration of the particular J-1 program. The Responsible Officer (RO) at Middlebury and MIIS is the Director of International Students and Scholar Services (ISSS), and the Alternate Responsible Officers (AROs) are the ISSS advisers.

J-1 Scholar (Faculty and Staff)

As an incoming international staff or faculty member of Middlebury College, ISSS requests that you fill out and return the International Faculty and Staff Information Form (available for downloading on the right-hand side of this screen).

As an incoming international staff, faculty or researcher at MIIS, you will need to fill out the Request for J-1 Sponsorship for Visiting Professors, Staff Members or Researchers form.

Once ISSS receives the completed form and supporting documents, they will determine the appropriate J-1 visa type for you based on your activities and length of stay.  ISSS will then send a DS-2019 to you, along with instructions on how to apply for a J-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. You will need the DS-2019 form to apply for your visa, however, we cannot issue a DS-2019 until you have returned your signed contract to the College. It can take several weeks to complete the visa application process, so the International Faculty / Staff Information Form should be submitted as soon as possible.

J-1 Student
(Exchange Students and Teaching Assistants)

J-1 student status allows you to remain in the U.S. for the duration of your full-time academic program. To maintain J-1 student status, Exchange Students must take at least three courses in fall and spring, and one over the winter term. Teaching Assistants must take, and successfully complete, one course in the fall and one in the spring in addition to teaching responsibilities. J-1 student status permits you to work on-campus as a student employee and off-campus as part of academic training. You'll need to obtain permission from your J-1 sponsor, Middlebury College, prior to starting on-campus or off-campus employment.

To apply for a J-1 visa and to enter the U.S. as a J-1 student, you must obtain a Form DS-2019 from Middlebury College. To obtain the DS-2019, complete the DS-2019 application (available for downloading on the right-hand side of this screen), and send it to ISSS with all required supporting documents.




International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)

Service Building - Second Floor
14 Old Chapel Road
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753
Phone: 802 443-5858