Academic and Special Interest Houses are residences where students pursue a common interest and share that interest with the campus community.
Oversight of these houses is the shared responsibility of the Office of the Dean of Students and the department sponsoring the house.
Rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors are eligible to reside in Interest Houses.
Out of respect for all groups, applicants who plan to submit requests to multiple housing units (i.e., Social, Academic and Special Interest Houses, Residential Life, etc.) should clearly indicate those intentions on all applications, and if offered more that one option, should correspond with each group about their final decision.
Once a student commits to a program by accepting an offer, they are no longer eligible for any other housing offers or to participate in any further housing processes and are responsible for withdrawing those applications and/or contacting the appropriate group leader. Students are advised to carefully consider any offer before accepting. Under rare circumstances, if a student is approved to renege on a commitment, they are ineligible to participate in other housing processes and will be housed by our office during the spring processes for the following fall term, and this means the student would be housed during the summer draw process.
Academic Interest Houses
- Arabic House (Sperry House
- Chinese House (108 South Main Street)
- French House (51 Franklin St)
- German House (The Deanery)
- Hebrew House (131 Franklin St)
- Italian House (Longwell House)
- Japanese House (20 Adirondack View)
- Portuguese House (236 College St)
- Queer Studies House (70 Hillcrest)
- Russian House (637 College St)
- Self-Reliance and InSite (Sustainable Design)
- Spanish House (Perkins House)
Special Interest Houses
- Intentional Living (Meeker House)
- Interfaith House (Porter House)
- Outdoor Interest (Brooker House)
- Food Studies (Weybridge House)
- International House (97 Adirondack View)
- Effervescence (Homestead House)
Once the school year begins, if you have an interest in any of these programs, you will want to reach out to the house advisor(s).
Following the end of the application period, each program will determine to whom offers will be extended, and after receiving commitments from each resident, will provide those names to Residential Life by the deadline.