The College offers its students two types of counseling, academic and psychological.  It is important that you report any serious signs of either difficulty to a student's Commons Dean as soon as you notice them. This is in the best interests of the students.

Academic Counseling: If one of your students is having such difficulty that the time you can devote to the student is inadequate, you should call the student's Commons Dean and consult with Jennifer Bates, Director of Learning Resources. The Office for Learning Resources can arrange for tutoring at no cost. If students have writing problems greater than you feel you can address, they should be referred to the CTLR. If a student requests an extension or incomplete, refer them to their Commons Dean for this request.

Psychological Counseling: The Counseling Center provides crisis intervention, short-term counseling, pyscho-educational groups, consultation and referrals to other mental health resources. The Counseling Center is located in Centeno House, Third Floor, x5141.

If a student is performing poorly--absent, consistently late in handing in assignments, failing or doing less than adequate work, and/or being disruptive or distracting in class--and not responding to a request for a meeting with you, you should contact his/her Commons Dean, who will then make contact with the student.

If a student, through expression in their class work verbal, written, and/or artistic or personal exchange with you, communicates a level of distress, depression, or thought disorganization that raises your immediate concern about their safety and welfare, you may suggest to them a referral to the counseling center and/or you may call the center to consult with a counselor as to an appropriate plan of support.

The Center is open 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (closed for lunch, 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.) Monday through Friday. 

After hours and on weekends, a counselor can be reached for emergency consultation by dialing 855-465-5013.

Faculty Counseling and Assistance Program: Faculty and their household members who would like to obtain counseling or other assistance can get in touch with the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) through e4health. Information about this program can be found on the Human Resources website. You may use the services of the EFAP for up to six visits per issue per year without charge to you. 

Academic Administration
Old Chapel
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753