Who do I contact at Middlebury for more information?

Charlotte Tate, Assistant Director, Rohatyn Center for International Affairs.  802.443.5795 tate@middlebury.edu.

What if I am not a US Citizen or Permanent Resident? Can I still apply for financial aid?

All students, regardless of their citizenship status, are considered for merit scholarships provided they are admitted and apply by the scholarship deadlines. International students can also apply for a private educational loan if they have a creditworthy US cosigner. Find more information on private loans. International students can also work on campus up to 20 hours per week to help defray their living expenses, provided they have an F-1 or J-1 Visa.

How can I fulfill the "International Experience" requirement?

We recommend that all students have some type of international professional experience before beginning the fifth year of the integrated degree program. This experience could include a semester abroad, internship, or practicum during your time at Middlebury or the summer before you go to MIIS. The Center for Career and Advising Services will help you explore your options.

What if I speak a language that is taught at Middlebury, but not normally at MIIS (Italian or Portuguese)?

Some foreign languages, such as Italian or Portuguese, are not usually offered as classes at MIIS. However, you may continue learning this language through a directed study, receiving one-on-one instruction from a qualified professor at an additional cost of $1,500 per 4-unit course. To choose this option, you must meet our minimum language proficiency requirements and express your interest in the language at the time of application. During orientation week, you must complete a placement test demonstrating that you are ready to begin your language studies at the third year college level or above.

What does "one year" mean at MIIS?

Being able to complete the degree in one year at MIIS means in two semesters. This is possible for students who apply with all the pre-requisites and who test into their foreign language at or above the 400-level. For students who are missing one or more courses or who do not test at the appropriate language level, more time will be required to complete the degree.

Who do I contact at MIIS for more information?

The contacts at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey (MIIS) vary by degree.

For MAIEP: Caroline LaTorre, Enrollment Manager for the Graduate School of International Policy and Management, Fisher International MBA

For MAIPS and MANPTS: Devin Lueddeke, Enrollment Manager International Policy, Nonproliferation & Terrorism and BA Programs 

For MATFL and MATESOL: Carol Johnson, Enrollment Manager Translation and Interpretation and Language Teaching Programs

Is financial aid available from MIIS for the fifth year of this program?

Financial aid for graduate schools is different from financial aid at the undergraduate level. In general, graduate students are presumed to be making an investment in their future careers and thus contribute some of their own funds (whether out of pocket or through loans) toward their educations.

At MIIS, there are two main components that we call financial aid: institutional merit scholarships, based on academic and professional background, and federal financial aid (Federal Work Study, Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, and the Federal Graduate PLUS loan), based on financial need. Unlike Middlebury, Monterey is not a need-blind institution.

There are 4 main differences between undergraduate and graduate federal financial aid:
1. At the graduate level, only your income is considered when determining your eligibility for federal aid. You will not need to include your parent’s information on the FAFSA
2. There are no federal grants for graduate level students
3. There is no expectation of paying your expected family contribution out of pocket. You can elect to borrow non-subsidized loans to cover the expected family contribution (EFC).
4. The federal loan limits are higher for graduate level students.

If I had financial aid at Middlebury, do I need to apply for it to attend MIIS?

Yes. All applicants who apply by one of the priority scholarship deadlines are automatically considered for a Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey (MIIS) Merit Scholarship
Students eligible for federal financial aid (US citizens, permanent residents and qualifying non-residents) must apply for federal financial aid annually.

Merit Scholarship information and deadlines:
All applicants who apply by the priority deadlines are considered for MIIS Merit Scholarships.

For fall admission there are three rounds of consideration:
December 1
February 1
March 15
For spring admission there is only one deadline:
October 1

Federal financial aid information and deadlines:
US citizens, permanent residents and qualifying non-citizens are also able to apply for federal financial aid
There is no formal deadline to apply for Federal financial aid, however, we encourage you to apply by March 15 for best consideration for certain types of aid, such as work study, which is awarded on a first come, first served basis.

What are the basic language proficiency requirements for the integrated degree programs?

There are different language proficiency requirements for native English speakers and non-native English speakers. If you are a native English speaker, you must complete two years of undergraduate coursework in one language. However, if you are studying Arabic, you must complete one year of undergraduate coursework for fall entry and one and a half years for spring entry.

During new student orientation, you will demonstrate your language abilities through a written and oral placement test. You must place into a 300-level course for all languages except Arabic. However, students who do not place into a 400-level language course may need more than two semesters to complete the language component of their Master's degree.

Please take a few moments to review the details of our language proficiency requirements.

What is the placement test like for language?

There is an oral as well as a written component to the test; the written component is similar to the on-line diagnostic test.

What do graduates of these programs do with their degrees?

See specific information here.