Middlebury Special Collections is open by appointment on weekdays to Middlebury College faculty, staff, and students who are approved for on-campus activities.
Special Collections is located on the lower level of Davis Family Library. View the Middlebury College campus map for more information.
Middlebury Special Collections
Davis Family Library 101
110 Storrs Avenue
Middlebury, VT 05753
Visit the parking section on the Davis Family Library page for more information on visitor parking.
Teach With Us
During class or group visits our staff typically provide hands-on, guided explorations of our collections to cultivate historical imagination, encourage curiosity about the past, and deepen appreciation for historical materials.
Our teaching philosophy is to deeply engage students with original primary materials, to expose as many students as possible to our collections, and to provide them with the tools they need to analyze, interpret, and use primary documents.
If you are interested in setting up a class visit, contact email@example.com.
Before You Visit
Wash your hands before you enter. We don’t require the use of gloves, but freshly washed hands are clean and have fewer natural oils that can stain paper.
Feel free to bring:
- Pencils (we have souvenir pencils!)
Leave the following items in our lockers:
- Pens (unlike pencils, ink is permanent if accidentally splotched)
- Coats (keep your sweater, we are climate controlled, so it can get chilly)
- Beverages and food
You may take photos with the flash turned off. Please visit Permissions and Copyright for more information on using any images you may capture.
General Rules for Using Collections
- Special Collections materials do not leave the research room
- Let us know if you’d like to request copies or scans of materials
- Turn pages slowly and carefully. Ask for assistance with fold-out maps
- Ask for permission before removing documents from plastic sleeves
- When working with archival collections, always maintain the existing order of items in boxes and folders
- Born-digital materials may not be reproduced or transferred from the research room without first consulting Special Collections staff
We look forward to seeing you!