Our guide to study abroad costs, financial aid policies and opportunities, and additional resources.
Study Abroad Costs
Program costs are generally similar to or somewhat less than U.S. college costs. In general, most study abroad experiences can be achieved well within the total cost of a term or year at Middlebury.
Some programs charge a comprehensive fee while others charge a tuition fee only, and students are responsible for room and board costs as well as travel. You can view cost estimates for the Middlebury Schools Abroad by country.
Students studying abroad (except those on official exchange programs) are charged an administrative fee of $1,900 (2022-23) per semester in order to help offset the cost of the services provided by International Programs and Off-Campus Study.
Middlebury’s Financial Aid
- Federal financial aid (aid other than Middlebury grants or loans) can usually be applied to study abroad expenses for any approved program.
- Middlebury grant and loan financial aid is available for:
- Students who study at Middlebury C.V. Starr Schools Abroad
- Students who are pre-approved International and Global Studies majors with a focus in South Asian Studies who study abroad outside of India (IGS/South Asia majors with a focus on India are normally expected to study at the Middlebury School in India)
- Students who are pre-approved International and Global Studies majors with a focus in African Studies (with a language focus other than French) who study abroad in Africa (IGS/AS majors with a French language focus are normally expected to study at the Middlebury School in Cameroon)
- IPE majors with a focus on Africa and a language focus other than French, studying abroad in Africa (IPE majors with a French language focus are normally expected to study at the Middlebury School in Cameroon)
- Students on official exchange programs (University of Nottingham and University of East Anglia)
- Students who study at approved programs in Israel [Note: students must successfully complete first-year Hebrew (101/102/103) prior to study abroad and are required to take the Ulpan in Israel. IGS majors must have completed through Hebrew 201 prior to study abroad]
- Classics and Classical Studies majors on approved programs in Greece or Italy
- Middlebury grant and loan financial aid is not available for:
- Study in countries/programs where English is the official language or lingua franca (this includes Middlebury’s affiliation with Lincoln College/Oxford University), except at a Middlebury School Abroad or when a student is part of an official exchange program
- Externally sponsored programs, unless a student is studying on an official exchange program or is studying in Africa or South Asia as a pre-approved IGS or IP&E major, according to the policies above (scholarships may be available directly from programs)
- International students who seek to study on an externally sponsored program in their home country
For more information, see Middlebury’s Office of Student Financial Services
Outside Sources of Financial Aid
Provides funding opportunities for US undergraduates to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to US interests. In exchange for funding, Boren Scholars commit to working in the federal government for at least one year after graduation. NOTE: The Middlebury application deadline for Boren Scholarship applications is January 14, 2022 (for students applying to study abroad during 2022-23); please note that this is earlier than the national Boren deadline. See Stacey Thebodo in International Programs and for more information.
Provides awards for study abroad to U.S. citizens who are receiving a Federal Pell Grant. The program aims to encourage students to study in a diverse array of countries or areas and world regions. The program also encourages students to study languages, especially critical need languages
Offers up to $5,000 per semester and up to $10,000 per year and are not limited to specific programs, destinations, or fields of study. FEA funds students planning to study abroad on academically rigorous programs with a strong preference for underrepresented students.
Includes the following opportunities:
- The Access Partner Scholarship is for students participating in programs hosted by providers in the Access Partner Program (e.g., CIEE, SIT Study Abroad, IFSA-Butler)
- The BASAA Scholarship is awarded to a deserving student who attends a US university/college located in Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island or Connecticut.
- The Foundation for Global Scholars Scholarship is for young adults aspiring to create change in their local communities and on a global scale.
- The Hilary Echo Douglas Memorial Scholarship is awarded to one student each year planning to study abroad in Vietnam or within other Southeast Asian cultures.
- The Jane Gluckmann & Carol Rausch Go Global Scholarship is awarded to one student each year planning to study abroad in Mexico, Central America, South America, France, or Germany.
- The Rainbow Scholarship is awarded to a deserving LGBTQI student who aims to participate in a high quality, rigorous education abroad program.
Provides need-based scholarships for study abroad in Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Laos, Macao, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
BUTEX (British Universities Transatlantic Exchange Association)
Offers one or two scholarships (£500 each) for Study Abroad and Exchange students from Canada and the United States who are attending BUTEX member institutions.
This scholarship will be awarded to one or shared by two or more well-merited female students for study in Sweden for at least one semester.
Offers resources for studying Japan, including undergraduate scholarships.
An undergraduate scholarship program offering funding to study, do research and/or internships in Germany.
Education New Zealand and Go Overseas have partnered to offer a a full-tuition scholarship for study in New Zealand for a semester.
Education Ireland and Diversity Abroad have partnered to offer the Inclusive Ireland Scholarship for students who identify as BIPOC who study abroad at one of the participating universities in Ireland.
Externally Sponsored Programs Offering Scholarships
Financial Aid Websites
Sunderland Language Center, First Floor
356 College Street
Middlebury, VT 05753