for Biology, ESBI, and MBB majors with biology advisers
(Neuroscience thesis students: please visit the Neuroscience Independent Study and Senior Thesis web pages for instructions.)
DUE NO LATER THAN NOON on the last day of exams (May 24):
- Print at least 4 sets of your final thesis (see below for details)
- Print copies of the appropriate title page
- Obtain signatures of your committee members on all copies of the title page.
- Turn in at least four sets of your final thesis including signed title page, secured with binder clips, to Joanna Shipley (MBH 375)
- PLUS: Send the following information via email to Joanna (email@example.com):
- Your final thesis title.
- Abbreviated title if it’s over 60 characters including spaces & punctuation – this is for the spine of the clothbound copy only.
- Your home mailing address to send your personal bound copy (allow 4-8 weeks).
THESIS FORMAT: Check with your adviser for any format preferences. Below are general guidelines.
- Margins: One-inch margins are fine. On clothbound copies, the bindery trims 1/8” on all sides.
- Line Spacing: Set to 1.5 for all sections except the Bibliography, which can be single-spaced.
- Print double-sided (see exceptions below).
- Start all new sections on a new page: Abstract, Intro, Methods and Materials, Results, Discussion, Bibliography, Appendices. These are still double-sided, but each section should start on the right hand page.
- Charts, graphs, and photos should be single-sided (although not necessary if they are embedded within text).
- Your personal copy can be single-sided if you prefer.
- Citation format is at the discretion of your adviser.
PRINTING: You have the option of having your thesis printed at Printing Services (in FIC). They use a higher quality paper than our local printers, plus color images come through with more detail.
We will pay for up to four copies of your thesis. Any additional copies are at your expense. Just give Printing Services your name and tell them it’s for your thesis printing. They’re located on the 2nd floor of FIC. You can bring your thesis over to them on a thumb drive. NOTE: They require at least 3 days’ notice for their services.
If you use Printing Services, you’ll need to insert blank pages in your document for printing double sided (remembering that new sections, images and graphs are single-sided).
TITLE PAGE: There are three versions of the thesis title page: one for high honors, one for honors, and one without honors. Once you know which level of honors you're receiving (sometime after your defense), print copies of the appropriate title page to accompany your final thesis copies. (Examples are under “Forms and Worksheets”).
NUMBER OF COPIES: How many copies do you need to print?
Print at least four copies:
- One for the Bio Department Thesis Cabinet (will be clothbound)
- One for the Library Archives (not to be confused with the digital archives)
- One personal copy for you, clothbound at no charge. Usually takes 4-8 weeks.
- One for your Thesis Adviser (you may give it to him/her directly, or to Joanna – let Joanna know)
Plus any additional copies:
- Do your committee members want copies? If so, paper, or electronic?
- Do you want any additional personal copies clothbound? If so, the cost is $16 each (this covers the cost to us). You may write a check to the Biology Department or give Joanna cash.
Theses to be clothbound are sent to a bindery in Boston. It takes 1-2 months to get them back, at which time we’ll mail the bound thesis to you.
If you have any questions - don't hesitate to ask Joanna or your thesis adviser!