| by Mike Roy
As part of the College’s evolving response to the COVID-19 outbreak, the library is committed to helping faculty and students access the services and resources they need for their teaching and learning. Here are some changes that are planned, with the understanding that as the situation evolves, there may be further changes.
- Libraries Closed: Davis Family Library and Armstrong Library are closed until further notice.
- Virtual Reference Services: We will provide only virtual reference services (chat, email, phone, text) for research support. This can be accessed via http://go.middlebury.edu/askus/, or by directly emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Collections will support virtual reference and research support. This can be accessed at email@example.com.
- Support for Remote Access to Online Resources: Advice on how to access subscription library resources from off campus is here: https://www.middlebury.edu/library/research/off-campus-access. If you experience difficulty, please go to http://go.middlebury.edu/askus/ to troubleshoot and get help from a librarian.
- Expanded Student Laptop Loaner Pool: We have expanded our loaner pool to provide students with access to webcams and more powerful laptops to allow them to take remote courses. A student technology request form is here.
- Digital Video and EBook Options: We are contacting faculty with materials on reserves (both print and video) to identify which titles they currently have on reserve are essential, and for which we need to try to find a digital version. In general,
- Library Instruction: Librarians who are scheduled to teach classes in the remaining part of the semester will reach out to faculty to discuss alternatives. Faculty wishing to arrange for a workshop for their class can (as always) contact their liaison.
- Interlibrary Loan will remain open only for digital materials. We are not currently able to provide ILL for print materials. Please order articles/book chapters in ILLiad and we will try to fill as much as we can remotely.
- Relaxed Borrowing Rules: We are asking patrons to not return materials for the time being.
- Archiving COVID-19 at Middlebury: Our College Archives is documenting and preserving the historic impact of COVID-19 on campus. Please contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are our most important links that you may find useful:
General library information, news, and announcements
- https://go.middlebury.edu/library/ - library homepage
- https://go.middlebury.edu/askus/ - contact information (text, chat, email, or telephone) for research and other support needs
- https://go.middlebury.edu/hours/ - library hours, updated constantly
- https://go.middlebury.edu/librarynews/ - library news and announcements
Research resources for students and faculty
- https://go.middlebury.edu/librarysearch/ - starting point for searching library materials: one-stop search journals, books, dvds, etc.
- https://go.middlebury.edu/guides/ - subject/topic-specific guides to the best library databases, journals, and other resources, and contact information for subject specialist librarians
- https://go.middlebury.edu/askus/ - contact information (text, chat, email, or telephone) and FAQs for research and other support needs
- https://go.middlebury.edu/ill/ - information about document delivery and Interlibrary Loan services
- https://go.middlebury.edu/journals/ - A-Z list of our journal titles
- https://go.middlebury.edu/databases/ - A-Z list of our database
- https://www.middlebury.edu/library/research/off-campus-access - how to use library subscription resources from off campus
Questions? Comments? Suggestions?
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have questions, comments, or suggestions as we work together to navigate this challenging situation.
- Mike Roy (email@example.com) - Dean of the Library
- Library Leadership Team
- Ann Flower (firstname.lastname@example.org) - Library Director, MIIS (Monterey)
- Rebekah Irwin (email@example.com) - Special Collections and Archives
- Carrie Macfarlane (firstname.lastname@example.org) - Research & Instruction Services
- Terry Simpkins (email@example.com) - Circulation & Reserves, Collections, ILL, Systems
- Reference and Research Support & General Questions