COVID-19: Essential Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the green questions below to reveal helpful orientation-specific information.

Can I mail packages to the College prior to my arrival?

The arrival of many first-year students necessitates that packages mailed before the start of the school year be sent to the Service Building Warehouse. You can also see more information about mailing services (including how to find your box number) here.

Students arriving in September can begin to send packages after August 20, 2019. Students arriving in February can send packages after February 5, 2020.

New and returning students who are shipping large items to the College should use the following address:

Student Full Name (no nicknames, please)
Student's year (first-year, transfer, or exchange student)
(Box #) Middlebury College
14 Old Chapel Road
Middlebury, VT 05753

Packages should not weigh more than 50 lbs. The Service Building Warehouse will be open from 8:30 am-3 pm during MiddView orientation.  Packages can be picked up by students until September 22. It is helpful to bring the package-tracking number and the name of the shipping company if possible to expedite package retrieval. Please bring your Student ID card.

During February Orientation packages can be picked up at the mail center from 9am-4pm Monday-Friday.

During the academic year and summer, students who need to ship larger items (i.e., trunks, luggage, special-ordered equipment) to campus should send their items, prepaid, to their individual box number at the campus Mail Center.

If you order linens through Residence Hall Linens, ship to the bookstore anytime after July 14th. Please use the following address:

Student Name

C/O Middlebury College Bookstore

58 Hepburn Road

Middlebury VT, 05753



What if a member of our party has special needs?

We hope to make your visit to campus as successful as possible. If you or a member of your party has special needs regarding mobility, or visual or hearing impairments, please contact us at 802-443-3103 or

*ASL interpreters are available upon request with advanced notice.

During MiddView will there be any orientation activities just for parents?

We will offer an optional Family Orientation schedule starting around noon on September 2ed through noon on September 3th. We encourage parents to say their final goodbyes before lunch on Wednesday, September 4th.

Where can I find information about placement exams?
Incoming students planning to enroll in courses in certain departments will need to take that department's exam. For detailed department instructions on placement exams, how to take them, and when exams become available, visit PDF iconPlacement Exam Chart for Sept 2018.pdf
What documents do I need in order to work on or off campus?

All students who choose to work on or off campus must complete a W-4 and an I-9 form in the Student Employment Office. The I-9 is a Federal form that helps establish employment eligibility. You must bring either a Social Security card or a birth certificate and picture ID. Passports are accepted as picture ID (International Students). Also accepted are a driver's license with the Social Security number on it (U.S. citizens) or a notarized copy of any of the above.

International students will learn about on-campus employment opportunities and the requirements for obtaining off-campus work authorization during Early Arrival. These students should always consult with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) prior to engaging in employment to avoid a violation of their visa status. To learn about how an international student can obtain a Social Security Card, please visit

Will there be support available for setting up student computers?

Members of our Library and Information Services staff will be on hand in the main library to provide written set-up instructions specific to the students' computer hardware and software. In addition, the Technology Help Desk (802-443-2200; located in the Davis library) will be staffed throughout the day to answer set-up questions by phone.

Visit our Student Computing Guide for an introduction to using computers available on campus and/or your own while at Middlebury.

When will students learn about their housing assignments and roommates?

You will learn more about your housing situation in mid-August. In mid-June you will be asked to fill out a Student Housing contract and questionnaire as part of your pre-arrival checklist. Please be patient! We understand your eagerness to learn about housing and work as quickly as we can to finalize your arrangements.  Click here for additional information about new student housing.

How should students travel to campus?

Students participating in Early Arrival will receive more detailed information about their travel and pick-up options.

For students arriving on September 4th, Middlebury College's Box Office will be selling shuttle tickets from the Burlington International airport to campus. Tickets will go on sale in early July.

Public Transport from the airport is certainly an option, though a bit trickier because of limited runs. You just have three steps:

  1. Take a bus from the Airport to downtown Burlington Vermont (Airport to Burlington Cherry St. Station)
  2. Connect from downtown Burlington (Burlington Cherry St. Station) to Middlebury (Middlebury Merchants Row) via Addison County Transit Resource's Burlington Link Shuttle (ACTR)
  3. Connect on ACTR's College-Hospital Loop Shuttle from Middlebury Merchants Row in town up to the Campus (Adirondack Circle)

Taxi and shuttle services (Middlebury Transit and Jessica's Transit, for example) do their best to match people with similar flights together to fill the vans, and therefore lower the cost for everyone. You may give them a call to check their most up-to-date rates. In a full van, it is possible for a trip to cost $25 a person. (It's about $80-100 for a taxi by yourself from the Burlington International airport to campus).

All students may choose to travel by plane, bus, or car to the Middlebury campus. For comprehensive airport, bus, and taxi contact information, please see Middlebury's Transportation Options link.

What should new students bring to campus?

Please see the What to Bring page.

Where can we shop in the area for room items?

The campus and town of Middlebury offer several options for general supplies within a five-minute drive, including the following stores:

Aubuchon Hardware: 40 Court St. #2 (802-388-1400)

Rite-Aid: 263 Court St. (802-388-9573)

Hannaford's Supermarket: 260 Court St. #6 (802-388-1017)

Kinney Drugs: 40 Court St. #4 (802-388-0973)

Middlebury College Store: Lower Proctor Hall (802-443-5334)

Middlebury Co-Op: 1 Washington Street (802-388-7276)

Countryside Carpet and Paint: 16 Creek Rd. (802-388-6054)

Shaw's Supermarket: 8 Washington Street (802-388-0930)

T.J. Maxx: 260 Court St (802-388-3021)

Searching for more serious furnishings may require a trip to the Burlington/ Williston area, approximately an hour's drive, where shoppers can take advantage of the following resources among many others.

Bed Bath & Beyond: 115 Trader Lane, Williston (802-878-9991)

Home Depot: 759 Harvest Lane, Williston (802-872-0039)

Staples: 1375 Maple Tree Place, Williston (802-872-0260)

Homeport: 52 Church Street, Burlington (802-863-4644)

Wal-Mart: 863 Harvest Lane, Williston (802-878-5233)

Can I do banking on campus?

Banks in town accept student accounts and have cash machines, and there are several on-campus Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs). The College Cashier’s Office is open from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. Students may cash up to $50 in traveler’s checks at the Cashier’s Office, as well as checks from parents or guardians when made payable to a student. One day’s notice is required to cash a check for more than $50. Students interested in establishing local bank accounts may contact any of the banks below.

Citizens Bank 

36 Middle Road

Key Bank

47 Creek Road

National Bank of Middlebury

30 Main Street

Offers ePanther account for Middlebury College students and has two ATMs on campus.

People’s United Bank

114 South Village Green

Vermont Federal Credit Union

1 Court Street

Bar Harbor Bank & Trust

2 Park Street, Brandon

What are the dining options off campus?

See go/wheretoeat for more information.

Whom should I contact with additional questions?
Family members with additional MiddView questions may contact us at or by calling (802) 443-3006. To contact other College offices, please explore this Web site for the appropriate contact.